StimScience is a startup in Berkeley, California with a mission to help everyone sleep better through personalized neuroscience. Our science team has spent the past 3+ years researching applications of closed-loop brain stimulation. Those years of research and development led up to Somnee — the first electronic headband to help your brain to naturally achieve a longer, higher-quality night's sleep.
We are looking for a lead designer to own all brand design and UX/UI for our mobile application - the primary interface our customers will use for our product. Additionally, this designer will set the design direction for the company, including site design and branding, and the visual design of our first consumer product and packaging. This is a strategically important role for the company - you’ll report directly to the CEO, and you’ll create our “design DNA.”
This position is “office optional”. You can do this job remotely, but if you prefer an office environment, we’ve got a fantastic office and sleep lab in downtown Berkeley.
- 4+ years of mobile UI/UX design experience
- Visual design experience
- Consumer device experience - health and wellness devices would be ideal!
- A portfolio reflecting clean, easy-to-use, and beautiful work.
- Ownership - you’ve led the design of a successful consumer application from storyboard to launch
- Startup experience is desired but not required - we are a small, growing team, and you should be prepared and excited to embrace a lot of change and ambiguity.
- Branding experience is desired but not required - either with an agency or in-house brand team.
Who we look for
As an early stage startup, we have a lot to offer, but we recognize that we might not be a perfect fit for everyone.
You will fit in well at StimScience if…
- You love to learn. We encourage everyone on the team to stretch beyond their roles and develop skills in new areas, and we provide everyone with visibility into all aspects of our science and our business.
- You are a challenge-seeker. Not only are we creating a new-to-the-world consumer device and service, we are inventing a fundamentally new way of interacting with the brain. While we are not cavalier about the risks, we are motivated by the level of difficulty inherent in our business.
- You are passionate about how neuroscience can improve peoples’ lives. Our team has founded successful neuroscience companies and includes truly world-class brain researchers. You don’t need to be a neuroscientist to fit in here, but you should find it interesting.
You might not be a great fit if…
- You crave structure. We are a small team with tons to figure out. We’ll offer you plenty of mentorship and collaboration, but you’ll need to set your own direction.
- You believe in ‘fake it til you make it’. We definitely have a bias for action, but we also recognize the responsibility that comes with products that customers rely on to improve their health. That means we make extra sure the science is sound and the product is worthy of customer trust before we ship.