At Element Biosciences, we are passionate about our mission to empower the scientific community with more freedom and flexibility to accelerate our collective impact on humanity. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are looking for a motivated Bioinformatics intern to make an impactful contribution to our Bioinformatics team this summer! As an Intern, you will be working with talented informatics professionals and software developers to build production level informatics tools that support our sequencing platforms. This is an incredible opportunity for someone with a team-focused collaborative spirit, eagerness to build, and willingness to learn and improve on their development skills.
If you possess the following and want to make a meaningful impact, we invite you to explore this role.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Analyze Element’s data and competitor data to characterize errors and identify their sources.
- Develop methods in Python for the analysis of sequencing data.
- Leverage the AWS storage and compute platform to scale analyses.
Education and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program at an accredited university with a focus in Computer Science, Bioengineering or equivalent.
- Expertise in Python programming including the use of notebooks and packages.
- Experience with running workflows on AWS.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with analysis of sequencing data strongly preferred.
- Experience with NextFlow or other workflow languages preferred.
- Willingness to "try, fail, learn, succeed, and repeat"!
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- San Diego, CA
Base Compensation Pay Range: $25/hr. - $40/hr.
In addition to base compensation noted above, you will be eligible for stock options, discretionary annual bonus, no cost health insurance plans, 401k with company match, and flexible paid time off.
Please note: Base compensation will depend on multiple factors, including geographic location, qualifications, and experience.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.