Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Impossible Foods was founded to transform the global food system and reduce the impact of climate change by making the world’s most delicious, nutritious, and sustainable meat, fish, and dairy — from plants. We’re building a rockstar team of brilliant, collaborative, mission-driven individuals who take pride in using their diverse skills to contribute to saving our planet.
Want to join the movement? You can help us solve the most urgent, important challenge facing the world today (and have fun doing it).
As a Senior Toxicologist at Impossible Foods, you will be responsible for establishing and managing a comprehensive toxicological food safety screening program that evaluates the safety of our ingredients and food products and ensures compliance with relevant regulations and industry standards. As a member of the Nutrition and Health team, you will help to refine existing processes and develop guidance for evaluating ingredients, both during the experimental phases of formulation/technology development and during the later product development phases. You will conduct extensive research, perform risk assessments, and provide expert advice to support the development, manufacturing, and labeling of safe and high-quality food products.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct and manage toxicological evaluations of food ingredients, including ingredients developed in-house, to determine potential hazards and establish safe exposure levels for employees and consumers.
- Collaborate with R&D team leaders on making formulation and manufacturing decisions to ensure that all products meet safety standards and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Assess and communicate potential risks associated with contaminants, allergens, and other hazards to business units, regulatory and manufacturing partners, and product development team leads.
- Set safety specifications for products, ingredients, and processing aids, including for environmental contaminants and intrinsic chemicals; serve as the subject matter expert in making data- and regulation-supported recommendations that influence product and manufacturing direction.
- Stay up-to-date with local and international food safety regulations and guidelines (e.g., FDA, EFSA, CODEX) and ensure all products are in regulatory compliance with applicable standards.
- Coordinate and review toxicological testing on ingredients and products conducted by external laboratories.
- Work closely with cross-functional leads in R&D, Quality, Strategic Ingredients, Sourcing, Packaging, Regulatory Affairs, and Communications to ensure food safety standards are met; consult on toxicological concerns from ingredients and manufacturing environment.
- Work with Nutrition and Communications leads in responding to toxicology-related questions and concerns from consumers and in company media channels.
- Stay apprised of new developments and claims (including fads and pseudoscience) in food toxicology research; write comprehensive summaries of relevant research topics to advise cross-functional teams and empower Impossible Foods' stance.
- Master's Degree or Ph.D. in Food Science, Toxicology, Pharmacology, or a related field. Additional certification in food safety, toxicology, or related areas preferred.
- 8+ years of demonstrated ability in food toxicology or a related field, preferably within the food and beverage industry.
- Strong understanding of food safety regulations and guidelines relevant to Impossible Foods ingredients and products, both domestically and internationally.
- Demonstrated ability to critically read and summarize a body of scientific literature and interpret complex data to make informed decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills.
- Meticulous approach to work and keen attention to detail when assessing potential risks. Strong ability to keep clear, organized, and timely records and data summaries.
- Proven track record of identifying and addressing food safety challenges in a proactive manner.
- Proficiency in Excel and Google Suite, strong math skills and understanding of statistical analysis.
- A passion for health, food safety, sustainability, and Impossible Foods’ mission.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other trait protected by law.
If the ability to work remotely is indicated, this role can be performed from any US state except for Alaska, Hawaii, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.
This role is not eligible for Visa Sponsorship.