Associate Scientist - Extrusion
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2023
Impossible Foods was founded to transform the global food system and reduce the impact of climate change by making the world’s most delicious, nutritious, and sustainable meat, fish, and dairy — from plants. We’re building a rockstar team of brilliant, collaborative, mission-driven individuals who take pride in using their diverse skills to contribute to saving our planet.
Want to join the movement? You can help us solve the most urgent, important challenge facing the world today (and have fun doing it).
We are expanding our Materials and Texture team. This team plays a meaningful role in developing the next generation of Impossible products by pushing the boundaries of protein texturization technologies. We are seeking a dedicated individual to join us as an Associate Scientist, working at the forefront of this field to develop efficient processes that transform plant ingredients into delicious plant based meats.
As an Associate Scientist, you will spend the majority of your time as an experimentalist, actively conducting hands-on experiments in our extrusion pilot plant and laboratory. Using your technical proficiency and deep understanding of protein ingredients, you will work towards optimizing and refining our processes to achieve groundbreaking results. Your innovative approach, combined with your strong analytical skills, will enable you to find opportunities for improvement and develop creative solutions.
In this role, you will collaborate cross-functionally with our Research and Development (R&D) and commercialization teams. Your primary responsibility will be to develop novel formulations, establish efficient processes, and scale up new products. Your expertise in protein texturization and extrusion technologies will be instrumental in crafting innovative solutions that drive our product development efforts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for developing and executing assigned extrusion projects as both a team player and an independent contributor.
- Responsible for providing hands-on operation, tooling/die design, and process improvement of pilot extrusion lines to produce prototypes to support new technologies and ingredients development.
- Characterize materials using a wide array of techniques including mechanical testing, thermal analysis, texture analysis, rheology, microscopy, and spectroscopy.
- Write detailed experimental records, maintain electronic lab notebooks, and complete all project management documentation.
- Support external extrusion trials and operations, process troubleshooting, and scale up.
- Comply with all company labs and plants, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- Ensure food safe production of food ingredient prototypes with proper food safety, cleaning and sanitation practices in place.
- Engage in cross-functional collaborations within the R&D team, and promptly and appropriately communicate to all levels internally and externally.
- Regularly participate in sensory panels to provide feedback on products quality
- Assist design, purchase, maintenance and upgrade of pilot extrusion assets, tooling and equipment.
- Other duties may be assigned by supervision as needed.
- Comfortable working with powered plant proteins including soy, wheat, etc.
- BSc + 4 years of experience in Food Science/Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, or related fields.
- 2-3 years of extrusion experience in the food space and is familiar with plant proteins. Formulation and ingredient functionality knowledge required.
- Experience with heavy equipment and/or work experience in a lab environment.
- Attention to detail & food safety requirements.
- Proven track record to troubleshoot process and equipment, and design experiments testing these ideas.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team, leading and mentoring research associates, collaborating effectively with fellow scientists and engineers, and setting an example of scientific excellence for the team.
- BSc + 5+ years of experience in Food Science/Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, or related fields.
- Mechanical and electrical engineering skills, including experience with modeling software such as SolidWorks, is a plus.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other trait protected by law.
If the ability to work remotely is indicated, this role can be performed from any US state except for Alaska, Hawaii, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.
This role is not eligible for Visa Sponsorship.