Junior Grower - Vineland, NJ
Vineland, NJ, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Company IntroductionZordi is committed to feeding the world with delicious, sustainably grown fresh fruits and vegetables. To achieve our mission, we are developing an autonomous modular greenhouse platform operated by intelligent robotics. Job DescriptionZordi is seeking a Jr. Grower to care and maintain the company's strawberry products. This person applies technical procedures, monitors crop development and the removal of substandard plants to maintain quality standards. On a daily basis this person will interface with engineers, testing new hardware - in the office, giving feedback on monitoring software - and in the greenhouse working with the crop. As a part of the production department, you will be working on the cutting edge of agriculture, integrating the latest greenhouse technologies from abroad, with best in class robotics and artificial intelligence.CORE EXPECTATIONS
- Takes direction for plant growing activities from Site Manager to meet the planned production & technology deployment schedules.
- Keeps the production space clean and organized to comply with corporate and food safety programs (sweeping floors, maintaining food safe environment).
- Reports growing conditions and changes in humidity, moisture and temperature and applies cultivation procedures as directed by the Site Manager to meet quality control standards.
- Regularly inspects the crop and reports detailed crop condition as directed by the Site Manager.
- Maintains a current knowledge of growing techniques, Integrated Pest Management principles, and technologies.
- Maintains records of growing techniques, production and testing.
- Applies fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides (maintain state issued pesticide applicator's license).
- Able to calculate figures, amounts, proportions, percentages and volume in relation to the application of fertilizers, chemicals and water.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to interact with team members, senior support personnel, high level personnel and customers.
- Able to identify major plant groups and be aware of their culture and growth traits.
- Works independently and as part of a team.
- Planning, organizing and attention to detail.
- Able to learn and adapt quickly.
- Able to work in a fast moving environment.
- Fosters positive working relationships.
- 2‐4 year degree in Horticulture or related field
- OR 1-3 years of related work experience
- Must understand the use of injectors, electrical conductivity and pH meter, boom and irrigation systems.
- Ability to work in conditions typically found in a greenhouse with high humidity and varying temperatures, with a fair amount of moisture present.
- Ability to exert up to 15‐50 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently and 10 pounds of force constantly in order to lift and move product.
- Ability to be on feet while performing job responsibilities.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time depending on your position and/or getting up and down through your work shift.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Willingness to accommodate H-2A transportation (5 minute driving for pick up & drop off).