Senior Software Engineer, Developer Platform
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on Our Mission
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Developer Platform team at Zocdoc! Embedded within our infrastructure org, you’ll contribute to the next generation of developer tooling and service deployment. You’ll work to support our Product Engineering teams to improve their development workflows and ensure that the features Zocdoc builds are functional, secure, and resilient, enabling millions of patients to get the care they need. As a Zocdoc’r, you may be working remotely, but that doesn’t mean you’re working alone - you’ll work with a supportive team of great humans who are funny, intellectually curious, and passionate about giving power back to the patient!
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Passionate about building easy-to-use developer tooling with the latest technologies
- Excited about improving developers’ lives and their development workflows
- Motivated to learn new technologies, design patterns, and work in the cloud
- Pragmatic in your decision-making day-to-day
- Autonomous, individually accountable, and comfortable working in a remote environment
- A believer that diverse and inclusive teams and cultures are a non-negotiable
Your day to day is…
- Shipping real code in languages like Scala, C#, Node or React to our internal developer base autonomously, without gates on other parts of the engineering organisation (nice to have, OO programming, C#, typescript)
- Automating what can be automated and breaking down the barriers of traditional software development to increase developer productivity
- Make meaningful contributions as you own and release features that will impact our large engineering org, which will impact patients, doctors, and Zocdocrs alike!
- Supporting our large product engineering org with their tooling, deployment, and cloud infrastructure needs
- Mentoring your peers and colleagues, with the notion that helping others means learning and growing yourself
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent engineering experience
- 5+ years of professional development experience
- Experience with all the acronyms (and numeronyms) - AWS, CI, CD, IaC, K8s, O11y, etc.
- Successfully shipped code for a consumer-facing product, with experience working across multiple areas of the technology stack
- A passion for building platforms and understanding what makes a great platform - infrastructure as code, automation, libraries, APIs, and standardization
- Successfully mentored other engineers in the past and have encouraged your peers to use software development best practices for code testing and deployment
- Experience successfully working remotely, or with a distributed workforce preferred
- An incredible team of smart and supportive people
- A competitive compensation package, including attractive medical insurance
- Amazing perks – think catered lunch every day, Ping Pong, etc.
- Daycare/creche facility for kids
- The chance to create a better healthcare experience for millions of patients!
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn Learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace.
- Cellphone and wifi reimbursement
- Competitive parental leave
- Sabbatical leave (over 5 years)
- Annual sponsored health check-ups
- Zocdoc is certified as a great place to work in 2023-2024
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice