Senior Software Engineer (Search Experience)
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on our Mission....
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (SSE-II) to join our Search team at Zocdoc! As a SSE at Zocdoc you’ll balance individual contribution with mentorship. Search SSE’s have the opportunity to work on our core Search product, taking ideas from inception to reality by rapidly building prototypes, iterating and releasing them. You’ll build scalable products that make the healthcare search experience for patients, providers, and Zocdocr’s simpler, safer, and more efficient.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are....
- Passionate about building platforms with the latest technologies and improving the patient experience
- A product-driven engineer who loves working in a highly collaborative and supportive environment
- Motivated by building products that make searching for healthcare easier and more intuitive
- Passionate about being part of and contributing to diverse and inclusive teams and culture
- Excited to lead projects and be a mentor for other engineers
Your day to day is…
- Contributing to the end to end development of our Search services
- Focusing mainly in frontend development and thus working with technologies like React/Redux that power Zocdoc’s user experience. You will be building features that help doctor's visualize their value on Zocdoc and develop core patient experiences that change the way patients interact with healthcare
- Working as well (to a lesser extent) in the backend services that power the Search experience
- Working with other teams to incorporate their features within Search in a way that makes the most impact on our patients
- Shipping efficient and scalable code to millions of users autonomously
- Collaborating with our agile team of dedicated and brilliant engineers, product managers, and designers. You will partner with the product and design teams to develop product improvements
- Making a meaningful impact as you own and release features in our CI environment that will impact patients, doctors, and Zocdocr’s alike
- Mentoring your peers, with the notion that helping others means learning and growing yourself, as well as contributing as a team to bring more value to the patient. This involves (but is not limited to) mentorship through peer reviewing code, pair programming, and small group presentations.
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- Passion for web development, strong commitment to writing automated tests, and working with source code management systems
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent engineering experience
- Successfully shipped code for a consumer-facing product, including layout and styling
- Passion for technology and the ability to think critically about performance, scalability, and reliability of software
- Implemented fast and efficient solutions using object-oriented or functional languages. Some of the technologies we use are React, Redux, Scala, C# and Node.js.
- Ideally, designed and built backend applications that scale
- Successfully mentored other engineers in the past and encouraged your peers to use software development best practices for code testing and deployment
- A team member with strong ownership who can be flexible and can operate in a fast changing environment and who can make sound design decisions
- 6+ years of professional full-stack development experience, with strong focus on front-end development. Experience with React/Redux framework is required. Strong grasp of HTML, CSS, and related web technologies. Knowledge of C#, Scala or other backend technologies is a plus, however willingness to learn and work in this area.
- A team member who is comfortable working with US overlap. So working until 12-1:00 PM ET
- An incredible team of smart and supportive people
- A competitive compensation package, including attractive medical insurance
- Amazing perks – think catered lunch every day, Ping Pong, etc.
- Daycare/creche facility for kids
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn Learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace.
- Cellphone and wifi reimbursement
- Competitive parental leave
- Sabbatical leave (over 5 years)
- Annual sponsored health checkups
- Zocdoc is certified as a great place to work 2023-2024
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice