Senior Engineering Manager - API
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on our Mission
As the Senior Engineering Manager for our API team, you will be the senior technical leader for one of Zocdoc’s most exciting new products. Zocdoc for Developers brings the capabilities of Zocdoc to third party developers who can build custom experiences leveraging our provider search, availability, and booking expertise. As the leader of the team that is the external face of Zocdoc’s technical capabilities you will showcase and cultivate our engineering brand and help influence healthcare technology. You will also have a major role in setting technical and cultural standards around API design and best practices throughout the company.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Excited to build a highly-adopted API with an emphasis on developer experience.
- Passionate about software engineering and product development and building scalable, technical solutions that solve real world problems.
- Ambitious, with a mission-driven mindset to solve difficult industry problems with a unique product.
- Strategically business minded, with a strong sense of when and how to scale a team and the organizational savvy and experience to structure multiple teams.
- Willing and eager to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to drive this new product forward.
- A leader who enjoys inspiring, supporting, and influencing their teams to do their best work with a focus on accountability, velocity, and continuous improvement.
- Excited to represent Zocdoc by directly interacting with external developers and technical leaders.
- A strong collaborator who enjoys being the bridge between engineering, product, and internal stakeholders.
- A believer that diverse and inclusive teams and cultures are non-negotiable.
Your day to day is…
- Leading, managing, and growing a team of engineers iterating on our developer API to deliver a highly reliable, performant, and best-in-class experience for external users and internal developers.
- Partnering with cross functional teams including Sales, Operations, and Legal to research and prioritize roadmaps and set a technical direction for the future of Zocdoc’s external API.
- Operating as a technical counterpart to Product, with an emphasis on controlling technical scope, influencing product specs and API design, and working with partners to build and maintain a clear technical and product strategy.
- Working across the organization on Engineering Culture, helping to build career ladders, steer cross-team events, and help build an inclusive technology workforce.
- Mentoring and coaching a team of engineers to maintain a high quality API, while delivering new features with high velocity.
- Making sure we are building out the platform’s capabilities with attention to security, scale, performance, and uptime.
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- Shipped API products to external customers, either as an IC or Manager.
- Extensive experience consuming and building APIs, ideally with a healthcare focus.
- A deep knowledge of API patterns, with an emphasis on authentication and identity management.
- Passion for understanding the use cases of your customers and a focus on collaboration.
- Experience managing critical systems, including setting and hitting SLA targets.
- Experience working with microservice architectures and AWS / cloud environment.
- Solid communication skills with the ability to influence key stakeholders or make meaningful contributions to external documentation.
- The mentality of an entrepreneur/owner and a strong bias to action.
- Humility. You believe in treating all people with dignity and respect, regardless of title or tenure, and you approach tough conversations with empathy.
- Flexible, hybrid work environment
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% paid employee health benefit options
- Employer funded 401(k) match
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace and Peloton
- Sabbatical leave (for employees with 5+ years of service)
- Competitive parental leave
- Cell phone reimbursement
- In office perks including:
- Catered lunch everyday along with snacks
- Commuter Benefits
- Convenient Soho location
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice