Staff Software Engineer, Backend
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
This opportunity is with Tools for Humanity
About the Team
This role is part of our World App team, which since its launch in July 2023, has grown to 2 million monthly active users globally and is on track to become the largest crypto wallet in the world. The app enables users to obtain their unique Proof of Personhood through World ID, claim Worldcoin Grants in eligible countries, and send money globally for free. We are a lean and mission-driven team.
About the Opportunity
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be designing and building highly scalable systems to support the World App. In this role, you will:
- Own key components within the World App. You will be responsible for designing, building, maintaining, and scaling them, including delivering on business metrics.
- Design backend systems for high scalability. This includes cross-coordination with your mobile, design, and web teammates.
- Build! You will execute on delivering the relevant backend components for the World App.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders including Marketing, Operations, Risk, Data Science, and other Engineering teams in the company. You will help shape prioritization for your squad.
- Contribute to the continued development of the Engineering organization across the company.
- No less than 7 years of experience as a Software Engineer with a proven track record of building modern and highly scalable software applications.
- At least 4 years of experience delivering products that have been used and maintained in high-scale operations, such as handling a large volume of transactions or users.
- Experience building with Typescript and/or Rust is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in architecting functional systems for performance and security.
- Experience with the AWS stack is preferred.
- Successful in ambiguous environments, comfortable with continuously reprioritizing, and possessing an MVP mindset.
- Bias towards action and willingness to be hands-on in achieving goals.
- Self-driven, unafraid to take risks and make significant bets.
- Curious and passionate about programmable blockchains and their role in the future of finance, privacy, and digital identity.
- Strong written communication skills, with the ability to clearly express and defend your opinions.