Principal Software Engineer, Backend
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
Worldcoin aims to provide universal access to the global economy, regardless of one's country or background, establishing a place for everyone to benefit in the age of AI.
About Your Team
This role is within our App Team, where you will be tasked with developing the backend of the World App. Our team is responsible for the backend architecture and critical product development.
Since its launch in July 2023, the World App has grown to 2 million monthly active users globally and is on track to become the largest crypto wallet in the world. The app enables users to obtain their unique Proof of Personhood through World ID, claim Worldcoin Grants in eligible countries, and send money globally for free. We are a lean and mission-driven team.
About the Opportunity
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will significantly impact all features of World App. This role represents the top 2% of Engineers at Worldcoin.
- Proactively improve the architecture of the World App backend and strive to simplify our developer experience.
- Build and ship mission-critical products across different World App product teams. You will be in the trenches contributing code to the App.
- Excel in communication and rallying other engineers around technical decisions. You will drive best practices in backend development across our organization.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders, including Marketing, Operations, Risk, Data Science, and other Engineering organizations within the company.
- A software engineer with a proven track record of building backend systems for top consumer mobile products with millions daily active users.
- Experience with Typescript and/or Rust is strongly preferred.
- Experience with the AWS stack is preferred.
- A bias towards action and willingness to be hands-on in achieving goals.
- Self-driven, unafraid to take risks and make significant bets.
- Curious and passionate about programmable blockchains and their role in the future of finance, privacy, and digital identity.