Senior Data Engineer
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
About the Team:
The Data team is responsible for deriving data-driven insights to support TFH’s key decisions. Because of our unique growth model of using a global network of Orb Operators to give a free share of Worldcoin to everyone on Earth, we require a high-performing Data team that is able to manage and analyze large amounts of data generated by the Orb, by the Worldcoin app, and by blockchain activity. In particular, the Data team’s responsibilities include data and analytics engineering, graph analysis, business intelligence, and statistical analysis.
About the Opportunity:
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for developing the data architecture and pipelines that support our data-driven initiatives.You will work closely with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to ensure data quality, accessibility, and performance across various data storage systems and platforms. You will be part of a team that is a service provider to and collaborates closely with many other teams (in particular Fraud and Risk Analytics, Product, Market Operations, Blockchain, and the wider Engineering team). You will also collaborate very closely with the Analytics Engineering team, contributing to their projects.
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with other data engineers and analytics engineers and contribute to the building of a new data architecture, including data models, database structures, and storage solutions
- Build, maintain, and optimize scalable and efficient data pipelines to enable data ingestion, processing, and transformation from various internal and external sources
- Assist with project planning, estimation, and resource allocation for data engineering initiatives, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality solutions
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize data pipeline performance; identifying and resolving issues to ensure high levels of reliability and availability
- Collaborate with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to understand their data needs and develop solutions to address them
- Degree in a quantitative field like computer science, engineering or physics
- 5+ years of hands-on work experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
- Experience in database design and data warehousing concepts, with specific expertise in Snowflake
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to understand complex data systems and develop innovative solutions
- Excellent programming skills in SQL
- Significant programming experience in at least one high-level programming language (e.g., Python, Java)
- Experience with DBT and data modeling techniques
- Experience with AWS a plus
- Familiarity with Spark
- Familiarity with data integration and ETL (Stitch, Airbyte or Fivetran) or data replication (AWS DMS) tools and techniques
- Familiarity with workflow management tools, such as Airflow, Prefect or Luigi a plus
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and experienced working in cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of engineering systems in a fast-paced and continuously evolving environment; start-up experience a plus
Berlin or San Francisco. Anyone hired elsewhere will be expected to relocate to one of these two locations.