Senior Ai Research Engineer
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
This opportunity would be with Tools for Humanity.
About the AI & Biometrics Team:
The AI & Biometrics team is building a biometric iris recognition system that can work reliably with more than a billion users and enables them to claim their free share of WLD. We use cutting-edge machine learning deployed on custom hardware to enable high-quality image acquisition, identification, and fraud prevention, all while requiring minimal user interaction. Our technology, coupled with privacy-preserving data collection, allows us to increase system performance and reduce model bias.
About the Opportunity:
We are building an iris recognition engine that works on the 1bn people scale. Therefore, its performance needs to out-perform all the current iris recognition technologies. We leverage the latest research from the field of Ai and DeepLearning combined with a large-scale data collection in more than 20 countries, to achieve that.
This role is responsible for developing deep neural networks for iris recognition (similar to FaceNet, Schroff et al). This involves translating latest research from various research groups around the world and translating their findings into the field of iris recognition. Moreover, this role is responsible for monitoring and constantly improving on the engine. It also includes collaborating with various other teams in particular the data collection team.
In this role you will:
- Design and implement cutting-edge deep neural networks for large-scale iris recognition, targeting a billion-user scale and ensuring high accuracy and efficiency
- Continuously monitor, maintain, and refine the computer vision identification engine to enhance performance and adapt to evolving requirements
- Collaborate closely with our data collection team, designing streamlined workflows to acquire the necessary training data for optimal model performance
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in computer vision research, identifying and applying relevant techniques to our domain for continuous improvement
- Embrace a culture of innovation by actively testing, iterating, and developing new ideas and methodologies, driving the team's technical growth and overall success
- Advanced knowledge of computer vision algorithms and techniques, with a focus on deep learning methods for image and video analysis
- Proven experience in training large-scale neural networks on massive datasets, optimizing performance, and handling data storage and preprocessing
- Expertise in representation learning, including unsupervised, self-supervised, and transfer learning methods, with the ability to design and implement custom architectures for various tasks
- Proficiency in popular machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Keras, and experience with relevant libraries and tools for computer vision (e.g., OpenCV, PIL, scikit-image)
- Strong programming skills in Python and experience with parallel computing and GPU-accelerated computing (e.g., CUDA, OpenCL) for training and deploying neural networks
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art research in computer vision and the ability to adapt and implement novel techniques from published papers
- Experience with cloud-based platforms and tools (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure) for training, deploying, and scaling AI models
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a track record of delivering high-quality results in research or industry settings
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams and present technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field with a focus on AI, machine learning, or computer vision
Pay transparency statement (for CA and NY based roles):
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at TFH ranges from $174,000 - $275,000, plus a competitive long term incentive package. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, TFH offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, vision, a 401(k) plan and match, life insurance, flexible time off, commuter benefits, professional development stipend and much more!
Something looks off?