Staff Rust Engineer, Protocol
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
About the Company
Worldcoin is building the world’s largest identity and financial network. Currently in beta, the protocol will ultimately serve as a public utility, owned by everyone. It is built on three fundamental products - a privacy-preserving identity system, a token offering utility and future governance; and an app that enables payment and transfers of both digital and traditional currencies. Contributors to the Worldcoin ecosystem are united by their commitment to providing universal access to the global economy to every person on the planet, regardless of country or background.
The Worldcoin Foundation is the Worldcoin protocol’s steward, supporting and growing the Worldcoin community to become fully decentralized and self-sufficient.
Tools for Humanity is a global hardware and software development company built to ensure a more just and accessible economic system. It is currently building tools and helping to support the Worldcoin project in addition to operating the World App.
This opportunity would be with Tools for Humanity.
About the Team
Scale is at Worldcoin’s core. The Protocol team is responsible for fulfilling this mission in a decentralized way by imagining, building, and maintaining trustless systems that can scale to billions of people. One of the ways we do this is through a privacy-preserving protocol that powers WorldID using state-of-the art cryptography. We are active in the Ethereum ecosystem, and work with the wider community to solve limitations around blockchain scalability. Our team builds Rust services deployed on Kubernetes clusters that generate and verify zero-knowledge proofs and interact with the Ethereum Blockchain and various Layer 2 solutions.
About the Opportunity
This is a unique opportunity to lead the development and roadmap of a significant component of our Protocol, which allows for privacy at-scale. This is the first step in our roadmap towards a privacy-preserving digital identity ecosystem.
In this role, you will:
- Work primarily in Rust, with some exposure to smart contracts in Solidity, TypeScript and Go.
- Work on the latest technologies and developments in blockchain and cryptography.
- Contribute to feature development and code reviews.
- Work closely with and learn from experts in domains like AI, cryptography, blockchain all the way to hardware manufacturing.
- Guide and mentor the Protocol team and improve engineering best practices through leading by example
- Take ownership over deployed services that power our scalability solutions.
- 5+ years of experience developing backend services in Rust.
- An advocate for always delivering high-quality code.
- Prior experience with Ethereum, Layer 2 scalability or zero-knowledge applications are nice-to-haves, but not required.
- A curiosity and passion for Web3, open-source code, privacy and digital identity.
- A bias towards action and willingness to roll up your sleeves to get things done.
- Self-driven - you’re not afraid to take risks and make big bets.
Pay transparency statement (for CA and NY based roles)
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at TFH ranges from $230,000 - $320,000, plus a competitive long term incentive package, and may include variable compensation. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, TFH offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, vision and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, life insurance, flexible time off, commuter benefits, professional development stipend and much more!
Something looks off?