Technical Director - Genomics Applications (Assay) Development
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
Reporting to the Head of Applications Development, working closely with Product Management and Program Managers, and interfacing with KOLs, customers, and business partners, the Technical Director will help define Volta’s Applications Roadmap, lead technical feasibility and product development, and deliver validated applications. Volta is building a suite of genomics applications for its disruptive digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. We are seeking an energetic, experienced, and hands-on scientific leader with a proven track record in the development of successfully commercialized genomics applications, managing technical teams, and functioning effectively in a matrixed environment.
- Technical lead for development of NGS sample prep and other workflows on Volta’s digital fluidics platform.
- Work with Product and Program Management (Engineering and Applications) to develop Volta’s Applications Roadmap, formulate customer and product requirements, and define project deliverables and timelines.
- Determine technical strategy and define activities for individual projects, covering all product development stages (early research and development, feasibility, design and development, verification and validation).
- Lead experimental design and provide technical guidance and oversight for day-to-day execution, data analysis, and compilation of results for internal/external presentation. Participate hand-on as and when necessary.
- Use expertise and systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot and overcome technical issues.
- Work closely with Program Managers across Applications and Engineering to keep program and individual projects on time, ensure productivity, and achieve efficient goal setting and reporting.
- Final approver of project deliverables and design reviews. Report to leadership on Applications Development project progress and risks.
- Define Applications Development team structure and individual roles, actively participate in the hiring process for all roles. Manage and professionally develop a team of scientists and research assistants.
- Maintain a high level of scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature, attending conferences, and keeping up to date with latest technology developments. The team will lean heavily on you as a resource and a technical expert.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Very strong technical proficiency in general molecular biology and NGS workflows.
- Ability to develop technical project goals and activities that are aligned with commercial strategy and expectations.
- Innovative in designing experiments throughout all phases of product development, including formal verification and validation plans.
- Efficient and creative at problem solving, troubleshooting and overcoming technical challenges.
- Experienced at data analysis and interpretation, including statistical analysis. Good working knowledge of key pre-analytical and sequencing metrics for different workflows is a must.
- Willingness to be very hands-on. Leads by example.
- Highly collaborative and able to work well within multidisciplinary teams.
- Self-motivated and highly organized. Always aware of the bigger picture, while being a master of the details.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Ability to report progress and present data in succinct and relevant ways to different audiences/for different purposes.
- Thrives in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and focuses on solutions rather than problems.
- Continuous learner with a growth mindset.
- Embraces Volta’s Operating Principles.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a closely related discipline and co-authorship of peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- 10+ years’ relevant industry experience, preferably in product development with emphasis on NGS applications.
- Extensive experience and up-to-date knowledge of short- and long-read sequencing workflows, with specific expertise in sample prep strategies and chemistries (including nucleic acid extraction and manipulation).
- Experience in laboratory automation and bioinformatics is highly recommended.
- Proven experience in technical interactions with KOLs and/or early adopters of a commercialized technology or product.
- Demonstrated experience in building and leading a technical team consisting of scientists with different levels of education and experience.
- Proven experience in leading a technical project and/or serving on a cross-functional product development team.
- Experience with instrument and platform development is preferred.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!