Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
Volta is building a suite of genomics applications for its disruptive digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Reporting to the Head of Applications Development and working closely with Scientists from the Application Development team, the ideal candidate will be responsible for the development of bioinformatic infrastructure as well as collaborating with Scientists to design experiments and analyze sequencing results.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Scientists to analyze NGS data from multiple DNA sequencing platforms.
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics pipelines for NGS data analysis.
- Collaborate with biologists, data scientists, and other software engineers to understand the specific requirements and constraints of NGS data analysis for internal research.
- Stay abreast of next-generation sequencing technologies and applications through scientific literature, conference attendance, customer interactions (mediated by the Commercial team) and provide inputs into the Applications Development roadmap.
- Actively participate in all hands-on work, identify problems and root causes, systematically troubleshoot and solve complex issues.
- Report pro-actively to the broader team.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with relevant bioinformatics tools and libraries.
- Experience with Python or R.
- Experience with version control (Github or Gitlab).
- Experience with data analysis from one or more DNA sequencing analysis platforms.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize, understand the bigger picture and master the fine details, think laterally, and solve technical problems creatively.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently, and report progress proactively and efficiently.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
Nice to have skills:
- Experience with containerization (Docker, Singularity).
- Experience with cloud computing infrastructure like AWS.
Education and Experience:
- 1-3+ years of industry experience (post-graduation) in the genomics/life sciences space.
- MSc or higher in bioinformatics, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related disciplines.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!