(Associate) Director, Systems Integration - Fluidics
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2023
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
We’re a startup, about to deliver our Instrument and platform to early-adopting customers this year.
The Associate Director (or Director for the right candidate) of System Integration will report into the Head of Applications Development, taking on management of a current team of 4 that has plans to grow this year. You will own the strategy of where we need to invest in genomic applications on the Volta Labs fluidics platform, and the resulting development of these applications with your team of integration engineers.
This is a critical role that combines elements of building in the now while planning for the future; perfect for someone who loves both managing a team and optimizing systems to be faster and smarter over time.
Day To Day and Year 1:
- Managing and overseeing the Integration team’s work: scoping and delegating tasks, deliverable deadlines, and supporting efforts hands-on when needed
- Continuous mentorship across the team; finding small and large opportunities for teambuilding and L&D in the moment
- Partnering with Leadership, supporting strategy meetings, defining roadmap, shaping the product outcomes and overall culture at Volta
- Driving and participating in hiring: We plan to grow steadily over the next 2-3 years as we commercialize. You’ll regularly assess and define team needs, work with Finance & People Operations to scale your team healthily and proactively
Within 3 months you’ll… Complete onboarding, gain a full understanding of our products and market opportunity, and have identified the first gaps and low-hanging fruit opportunities for your team to focus on.
By 6 months you’ll… Have implemented your first improvements, defined the 1-year roadmap for program management + necessary hires to support deliverables, and start identifying data silos to remove.
At 12+ months you’ll… Make measured improvements to the Application Development timeline, support further team growth across hiring and promotions, and participate in feasibility and experimentation for the next gen platform
Volta sits at the crossroads of biology, robotics, and engineering. To be successful in this role, you should have accomplished the below and be confident in owning each area on our team:
1. Launched or heavily participated in 1+ end-to-end product development cycles (ideation through post-launch activities)
2. Hands-on technical project/program management experience of a team 4+ in size, including delegation, quality management, retrospectives, and all other PM activities
3. Proven proficiency in converting molecular biology laboratory tests, including PCR/qPCR, DNA assembly methods, and sequencing library preparation, into a liquid handling system, optimizing and automating these processes.
4. Understand molecular biology to sufficient depth to predict downstream effects of process decisioning, and has written engineering scripting for processes and robotics
A background in Life Sciences and/or experience in operating and programming automated liquid handling systems, such as (Hamilton, Tecan, Agilent, etc) is a nice-to-have that supports future projects this role will own.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!