Applications Development Engineer
Campbell, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2023
Velo3D is a technology company that provides the industry’s most advanced fully integrated metal 3D printing solution for mission-critical parts.
Some of the most pioneering companies, including SpaceX, Honeywell, and Lam Research, use the Velo3D solution to drive defense innovation, improve aerospace applications, enhance transportation efficiency, and produce critical oil & gas applications.
While conventional 3D printing and traditional manufacturing methods impose strict design and performance limitations, Velo3D supports true design freedom and allows engineers to build the complex parts they need without compromising performance or quality for manufacturability. In our quest to support tomorrow’s innovations, we enable parts to be printed to exact standards of consistency, quality, and repeatability.
Velo3D has been named to Fast Company’s prestigious annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2023. For more information, please visit velo3d.com, or follow the company on LinkedIn or Twitter.
As an Applications Development Engineer you will work directly with external customers and engineering groups within Velo3D to develop innovative and novel projects for additively manufactured production hardware. You will work closely with process development, hardware, and software engineering teams to refine existing systems and develop new capabilities based on customer need. You will support sales in finding and developing business cases that exploit our advanced technology.
- Work in a fast-paced start up atmosphere on new technologies with constrained timelines.
- Prepare and optimize files for printing using Velo3D’s Flow software stack with a full value stream understanding of engineering requirements: printing, post-processing, lead times, and economic implications.
- Design, modify, and analyze complex geometries in CAD software.
- Interact and communicate directly with customers professionally and effectively, and generate proper customer feedback to direct internal development.
- Perform highly technical hands-on tasks independently on and off-site for extended periods of time.
- Ensure customer production success via training and educating customers on Velo3D software, technology applications, and design guidelines.
- Operate metal additive manufacturing machines safely. Always wear appropriate PPE and obey safety protocols. Machines pose hazards associated with lasers, electronics, mechanical devices, and metal powder.
- Lift heavy metal parts and associated equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Expected travel 10-20% of the time to customer sites and on-site to Campbell/Fremont.
- Work effectively with teams across multiple departments on technical projects.
- Troubleshoot software and hardware anomalies in the system using monitoring software, machine schematics, written procedures, and internal support.
- Maintain strong organizational skills with regards to documentation, software analysis, and project management.
- Customer facing engineering roles.
- Metal additive manufacturing design, manufacturing, or production.
- CAD expertise (Solidworks, Siemens NX, AutoCAD, CATIA, etc.).
- Hands on experience with machine tools: CNC machining, semiconductor, additive manufacturing, heavy lab, or other related equipment.
- Dealt with critical or regulated industries like aerospace, defense, semiconductor, etc.
- Simulation/3D scan data handling and analysis
- Experience with generative design tools (e.g. nTop), print preparation software (Materialise Magics, Netfabb, 3DExpert), and simulation software (e.g. Simufact)
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, Material Science, or related field.
- Desired: Graduate degree in related field.
- ITAR compliance (US citizenship or Green Card holder)
About the Company:
Velo, Velo3D, Sapphire and Intelligent Fusion are registered trademarks of Velo3D, Inc. Without Compromise, Flow, and Assure are trademarks of Velo3D, Inc.
Our team enjoys excellent benefits including healthcare coverage and 401(K) employer contributions. We believe in transparency and recognizing exceptional efforts through our monthly all-hands meetings and team member appreciation awards.
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base salary for this full-time position is between $137,000 and $152,000. This salary range reflects the minimum and maximum target for this position in the U.S. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as work experience, job-related skills, related education, work location, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. In addition to a competitive base salary and a comprehensive benefits package, this position may be eligible for other forms of compensation such as participation in a bonus and equity program, as applicable.
Velo3D provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to, and prohibits discrimination and harassment based on, race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.