Director, Mobile Engineering
United States · Canada
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.9 M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
Have you heard about our future of work program, Scribd Flex? As a key principle, we embrace flexibility and allow employees, in partnership with their manager, to choose the work-style that best suits their individual needs and preferences. And, we create intentional in-person moments with each other that build culture and connection.
About the team and role
Our iOS and Android engineering teams build the product where most of Scribd’s subscribers read and listen. The teams strive to build a solid, fast and dependable product that users adore and engineers are proud of. We build native apps, using modern software architectures with an aggressive technical debt payment philosophy. We believe that building things the right way, with the right tools leads to a successful product, happy engineers & productive teams.
We are looking for a passionate, innovative and strategic Mobile technology leader to head this team. This role provides a tremendous opportunity to collaborate across the organization and deliver meaningful improvements for our customers while also modernizing our tech stack.
• You are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring software development teams that deliver stable, high quality software. You know what a highly functional engineering team looks like and how to grow leaders that can develop them.
• You have a technical background, are able to contribute to planning and design discussions, and believe in building teams and practices that scale.
• You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership and pride in your teams and managers.
• You know and care about software engineering best practices
• You can work with Product and other stakeholders to deliver quick results while also driving longer-term initiatives.
• You can plan and deliver a roadmap, and grow leaders that can do the same.
• You are known for clear and succinct communication, and are able to represent your team to all audiences.
• You are an empathetic manager that enjoys working with people and deeply cares about growing people and their careers.
You will / Responsibilities / What you will do
• Be responsible for the iOS, Android & Mobile QA teams -- with the managers of each reporting to you.
• Be responsible for our build tooling / developer productivity engineering team.
• Manage, coach and mentor your managers by having regular 1:1s and building strong relationships.
• Enable them to be self aware by providing genuine feedback. Inculcate industry standard software engineering best practices across your teams
• Ensure your team is working effectively with recruiters to hire and build a diverse team of talented engineers that are meeting the growing business needs. Remove obstacles in execution by effective communication, leadership and lean processes
• Ensure iOS and Android are building a platform and product in the best ways, with the best tools.
• Ensure the iOS and Android teams are demonstrating ownership and accountability on their platforms stability, observability, delivery & incident response
You Have / We're looking for / Requirements
• At least 10 years of experience building and delivering software products
• 5+ years of engineering management experience running mobile teams and experience managing managers for at least 2 years.
• A working knowledge of building native mobile applications on iOS and/or Android
• Strong record of thriving in a customer-obsessed product development environment with evidence of helping to define and influence overall product strategy.
• An exceptional understanding of technology best practices, application security, and history of making tradeoffs based on current needs.
• Proven track record of scaling a team in high-growth companies, not just in number of team members but also in developing team member capabilities and skills.
• History of building accountability and success by setting measurable goals and metrics for your teams.
• Ability to set strategic direction in working with senior executives, but also loves getting your hands dirty executing with the team.
• Thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing, high-growth environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, prioritize and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners.
• Proactive, solution-oriented mindset and approach to problem solving.
At Scribd, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package and is determined within a range. Our pay ranges are based on the local cost of labor benchmarks for each specific role, level, and geographic location. San Francisco is our highest geographic market in the United States. In the state of California, the reasonably expected salary range is between $171,500 [minimum salary in our lowest geographic market within California] to $227,750 [maximum salary in our highest geographic market within California].
In the United States, outside California, the reasonably expected salary range is between $141,500 [minimum salary in our lowest US geographic market outside of California] to $264,000 [maximum salary in our highest US geographic market outside of California].
We carefully consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation, including but not limited to experience; job-related skill sets; relevant education or training; and other business and organizational needs. The salary range listed is for the level at which this job has been scoped. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply. This position is also eligible for a competitive equity ownership, and a comprehensive and generous benefits package.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
*Benefits/perks listed may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Scribd and the geographical location where you work.
• Healthcare Insurance Coverage (Medical/Dental/Vision): 100% paid for employees
• 12 weeks paid parental leave
• Short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k/RSP matching
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Learning & Development programs
• Quarterly stipend for Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort
• Mental Health support & resources
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Referral Bonuses
• Book Benefit
• Company wide events
• Team engagement budgets
• Vacation & Personal Days
• Paid Holidays (+ winter break)
• Flexible Sick Time
• Volunteer Day
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs
Want to learn more about life at Scribd? www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
We want our interview process to be accessible to everyone. You can inform us of any reasonable adjustments we can make to better accommodate your needs by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org about the need for adjustments at any point in the interview process.
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, and believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Remote employees must have their primary residence in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Ontario (Canada), British Columbia (Canada), or Mexico. *This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.