Facilities and EHS Manager
About The Role
ABOUT ROCKET LAB
Rocket Lab is a global leader in launch and space systems. The rockets and satellites we build and launch enable some of the most ambitious and vital space missions globally, supporting scientific exploration, Earth observation and missions to combat climate change, national security, and exciting new technology demonstrations. Our Electron rocket has provided reliable access to orbit since 2018, becoming one of the most frequently launched rockets in the world. Neutron will be our next rocket on the launch pad, an advanced 13-tonne payload class, reusable rocket to launch the mega constellations of the future. Our space systems business includes our extensive line of satellites and components that have enabled more than 1,700 missions including the James Webb Space Telescope, NASA Psyche Mission, Artemis I, Mars Ingenuity helicopter, and more.
Join our pioneering team and launch your career to new heights!
Rocket Lab’s Facilities team is responsible for maintenance, operations, and improvements projects across our locations, making sure that the facilities our teams use every day are well looked after and operating as they should.
FACILITIES & EHS MANAGER
Based onsite at Rocket Lab's global headquarters in Long Beach, California the Facilities & EHS Manager is responsible for facilities maintenance, operations, and improvement projects; as well as the delivery of Health and Safety operations support for our Long Beach facilities. It also encompasses equipment maintenance and tool calibration responsibilities. You will support the Director of Production and Health & Safety organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Utilizing internal and external resources
- Manage Rocket Lab headquarters facility operations as primary responsibility, including janitorial, maintenance, repair, and update/upgrade activities. Support to other Rocket Lab North America facilities may be requested.
- Support for major facility renovations / construction projects, may be requested for the timely execution of these projects.
- Develop maintenance policy and procedures that ensure the optimal functioning of buildings, grounds, and associated equipment.
- Develop and execute plan to manage all building systems including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, safety, and waste management.
- Develop and execute plans for facilities modifications and improvements with the focus on scope, schedule, and budget.
- Manage and train a staff of employees in the general maintenance of buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Ensure facilities maintenance work follows safety standards, conforms to specifications, and that work orders are tracked and completed within the budgeted guidelines.
- Works hand in hand with subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs
- Ensures that project milestones are met and adhering to approved budgets.
- Manages facilities and equipment breakdown ticketing system (JIRA) and set priorities for resolution.
- Manages team to handle hazardous waste streams in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Manage Rocket Lab headquarters Equipment Engineering, including equipment maintenance, repair, and update/upgrade activities, planning, procurement, installation and (de)commissioning of equipment to ensure equipment uptime and reliability in safe conditions.
- Responsible for the implementation and management of the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Effective oversight & maintenance of the Rocket Lab headquarters facility and building & manufacturing infrastructure therein, adherence to and enforcement of site safety, security and cleanliness requirements.
- Manage tool calibration program.
- Some travel is required. Other duties as assigned.
Health & Safety
- Provide US based support in the Long Beach Headquarters factory (RLHQ) and Engine Development Center (EDC) for managers and staff relating to occupational health and safety regulations and compliance in the U.S.
- Support US Production Operations team, Engineering and Program Management with their delivery of Company mandated occupational health and safety management systems (Also under the direction of the company H&S Manager) in accordance with the site H&S operation plans.
- Promote the general involvement and engagement of staff in H&S activities in their workgroups. Facilitate the inclusion of H&S matters in everyday production activities (Consistent with companywide activities and programs).
- Provide health and safety services for the business specifically:
- Task / job / equipment-based Risk Assessment and advice / guidance to department managers / supervisors.
- Deliver internal training in H&S topics for US Personnel and coordinate external H&S training requirements.
- Support and facilitate the development of the employee H&S Committee and produce H&S performance data.
- Site Emergency response coordination in case of emergency, and emergency preparedness maintenance.
- Coordination of relations with CAL-OSHA, VA-OSHA and CAL EPA, Long Beach Fire Dept.
- Incident (accident) immediate response, first aid and investigation services. (Act as chief / deputy fire warden).
- Occupational health monitoring, surveillance management and health wellness and wellbeing services.
- Injury case coordination, rehabilitation, and work-based assessment for return to work process.
- Management of hazardous substance management and hazardous waste streams and all compliance related topics.
- Act as an IIPP program manager for RLHQ and EDC facilities.
- Coordinate environmental compliance for RLHQ and EDC operations.
- Perform industrial hygiene services for RLHQ and EDC operations.
- Support delivery of occupational health and safety services at other US Rocket Lab locations when required for specific projects.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree and 8 years of experience - OR - High School Diploma and 12 years of experience
- 3+ years of supervisory/management experience
- Facilities Management and/or Health & Safety experience in an Aerospace, Automotive, Medical Device, or similar heavily regulated manufacturing environment
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with managing cleanrooms
- Expert knowledge of facilities systems and improvement projects
- Occupational health & safety skills to include risk assessment, policy, training, project management, hazardous substances, and safety in manufacturing engineering
- Certified Health & Safety Professional
- Knowledge and practical experience in emergency management and / or occupational health and workplace hygiene
- Membership of a relevant Safety organization such as ACGIH, ASSP or similar
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
Base salary is only one part of Rocket Lab’s compensation package for this role. You may be eligible for company stock, stock options, or cash incentives, and can purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab’s Employee Stock Purchase Program. Employee benefits may also include medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage; 401(k) retirement plan options; paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave; paid parental leave; and other discounts and perks.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We’re on a mission to unlock the potential of space to improve life on Earth, but that’s not an easy task. It takes hard work, determination, relentless innovation, teamwork, grit, and an unwavering commitment to achieving what others often deem impossible. Our people out-think, out-work and out-pace. We pride ourselves on having each other’s backs, checking our egos at the door, and rolling up our sleeves on all tasks big and small. We thrive under pressure, work to tight deadlines, and our focus is always on how we can deliver, rather than dwelling on the challenges that stand in the way.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.