Senior IT Engineer - Space Systems (Cloud)
About The Role
ABOUT ROCKET LAB
Rocket Lab is a global leader in launch and space systems. The rockets and satellites we build and launch enable some of the most ambitious and vital space missions globally, supporting scientific exploration, Earth observation and missions to combat climate change, national security, and exciting new technology demonstrations. Our Electron rocket has provided reliable access to orbit since 2018, becoming one of the most frequently launched rockets in the world. Neutron will be our next rocket on the launch pad, an advanced 13-tonne payload class, reusable rocket to launch the mega constellations of the future. Our space systems business includes our extensive line of satellites and components that have enabled more than 1,700 missions including the James Webb Space Telescope, NASA Psyche Mission, Artemis I, Mars Ingenuity helicopter, and more.
Join our pioneering team and launch your career to new heights!
Rocket Lab’s IT team is responsible for how our global teams access information and run operations across our computer systems, networks, and devices. Our hardworking IT team is a group of flexible problem-solvers working in a fast-paced environment but who also thrive under the challenge of supporting all of our proprietary systems and people, from finance to launch operations.
SENIOR IT ENGINEER – SPACE SYSTEMS (CLOUD)
Located onsite at Rocket Lab’s global headquarters in Long Beach, CA, the Senior IT Engineer will be responsible for the implementation, administration, and operation of all IT systems relating to Space Systems and their related operations.
This person will provide subject matter expertise, advise, and guidance to deliver and support for our highly reliable and available Cloud infrastructure to enable Rocket Lab Engineering and support teams to quickly develop the next generation rockets and space systems. These systems include support of the infrastructure required for Space System at related sites such as RLHQ, Colorado, and New Mexico. Components include flat sat networks, loggers/telemetry servers, on orbit operations, remote operators, mission control room infra, and customer connectivity.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Enable Rocket Lab Engineers and Space Ops Personnel to develop and deliver our world class Space System capabilities, via the deployment and management of highly reliable and scalable infrastructure and supporting software.
- Assist our fantastic team by providing subject matter expertise and support for our highly reliable and available IT infrastructure that support the Space Systems team.
- Carry out upgrades and maintenance with a focus on continuous improvement to provide a reliable and secure infrastructure.
- Assist with and/or manage project planning and deployment for Space System infrastructure and new customer satellite commissioning projects.
- Support the Space Systems IT Infrastructure Standards function(s) at Rocket Lab through the implementation of Standards for the deployment and management of the Space System infra environments to ensure:
- Compliance with Rocket Lab Policies
- Simplified and consistent environment management practices
- Automated build and maintenance processes
- Collaborate with team members to ensure Jira (ITAR) and Confluence are used effectively.
- Utilize the reporting functionality of both tools to provide insights into the development process and recommend improvements.
- Configure and manage GitLab repositories.
- Assist in designing CI/CD pipelines and automation of build, test, and deployment process.
- Monitor and improve CI/CD performance.
- Engage with engineers and understand their workflows and help enable them to be efficient.
- Deploy Rocket Lab standards and decommission legacy systems to help improve security.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ year of experience in IT and a bachelor's degree OR equivalent years of experience (9 years of total experience)
- 3+ of those years of experience in a platform focused technology role.
- In-depth knowledge of at least one of:
- AWS and/or O365 & Azure enterprise environments.
- one or more of the following: Kubernetes, VMware, Linux, Windows, Configuration Management, Automation, and/or Infrastructure as Code.
- Security frameworks / technology: ISO 27001, NIST 800-171, IPSEC, SSL VPNs, firewalls, etc.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills – able to see the big picture, make connections and appropriate decisions
- Specialist qualification in area of expertise: CISM, AWS, Azure, Microsoft, etc.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
Base salary is only one part of Rocket Lab’s compensation package for this role. You may be eligible for company stock, stock options, or cash incentives, and can purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab’s Employee Stock Purchase Program. Employee benefits may also include medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage; 401(k) retirement plan options; paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave; paid parental leave; and other discounts and perks.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We’re on a mission to unlock the potential of space to improve life on Earth, but that’s not an easy task. It takes hard work, determination, relentless innovation, teamwork, grit, and an unwavering commitment to achieving what others often deem impossible. Our people out-think, out-work and out-pace. We pride ourselves on having each other’s backs, checking our egos at the door, and rolling up our sleeves on all tasks big and small. We thrive under pressure, work to tight deadlines, and our focus is always on how we can deliver, rather than dwelling on the challenges that stand in the way.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.