Business Development Director, Spacecraft Separation Systems
About The Role
ABOUT ROCKET LAB
Rocket Lab is a global leader in launch and space systems. The rockets and satellites we build and launch enable some of the most ambitious and vital space missions globally, supporting scientific exploration, Earth observation and missions to combat climate change, national security, and exciting new technology demonstrations. Our Electron rocket has provided reliable access to orbit since 2018, becoming one of the most frequently launched rockets in the world. Neutron will be our next rocket on the launch pad, an advanced 13-tonne payload class, reusable rocket to launch the mega constellations of the future. Our space systems business includes our extensive line of satellites and components that have enabled more than 1,700 missions including the James Webb Space Telescope, NASA Psyche Mission, Artemis I, Mars Ingenuity helicopter, and more.
Join our pioneering team and launch your career to new heights!
Rocket Lab’s Business Development team is responsible for connecting customers across government and commercial sectors with our industry leading mission solutions spanning launch and space systems. They work closely with new and existing customers to understand their needs and develop tailored solutions to deliver their missions. Building and maintaining relationships with customers and internally with engineering and operations teams is at the core of our Business Development team. They have their fingers on the pulse of the space industry and are driven to deliver results for our customers and our business.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, SPACECRAFT SEPARATION SYSTEMS
Based out of Rocket Lab's office in Silver Spring, Maryland, the Business Development Director, Spacecraft Separation Systems is responsible for managing all business development activities for spacecraft separation systems, including Lightbands, Cubesat dispensers, and separation connectors. You will also support senior leadership and the Business Development organization, with deliverables required for our Board of Directors and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Lead Rocket Lab’s spacecraft separation systems business development, generating and executing sales of strategically aligned Motorized Lightbands (MLB), Advanced Lightbands (ALB), Canisterized Satellite Dispensers (CSD), Payload Hinges, and accessories for the Space Systems division
- Develop and implement sales plans, systems, policies, initiatives, and procedures to manage the sales pipeline and close deals
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing team in creating separation system product collateral, marketing material, and strategic communications and the Engineering and Production/Operations teams to ensure adequate plans for low lead-time delivery of separation systems
- Lead research on the latest separation system competitive landscape and market, lead forecasting of separation system sales, determine pricing, and provide support for business development, strategy, and the space systems product and services roadmap
- Grow existing business opportunities and nurture relationships with existing customers to develop additional business opportunities
- Create new business opportunities and relationships by presenting Rocket Lab’s capabilities/experience to provide spacecraft separation systems
- Responsible for forecasting pipeline (non-backlog) element of revenue
- Develop and present bid/no-bid strategies, and manage proposal planning, preparation, and submission
- Advise on, and help implement, technology licensing deals and strategic acquisitions for new and strategically aligned space systems elements
- Identify and obtain RFPs from aerospace/satellite primes and other satellite integrators for new and continuing space mission and program opportunities
- Lead and/or participate in proposal activities, including generation of technical, management, cost, schedule, and proposal content for new business
- Develop strong relationships across all levels of the business to ensure alignment, efficiency, and collaboration, including coordinating with stakeholders
- Represent Rocket Lab at industry conferences and customer meetings
- Travel as needed for business opportunities
- Other duties as assigned or required
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
- 12+ years of experience working with contractors in the aerospace or defense industry
- Experience in the aerospace/satellite sector
- Experience with launch separation system products development, manufacturing, and/or sales
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s or PhD in aerospace engineering or related engineering field; or business
- Specialization in government business development, with deep experience selling to national security and civil space customers
- Demonstrable record of success in business development, sales, program management and/or engineering of satellite software products
- Extensive awareness of current/ongoing commercial and government satellite programs across the full spectrum of mission classes
- Experience and/or deep understanding of satellite mechanical systems engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Must be personable and able to interface well with customers, and present to large groups
- Experience leading, managing, and growing geographically disperse teams on fast-paced projects
- Ability to take ownership and action on challenges and step up to manage tough situations while encouraging colleagues and direct reports to do the same
- Proficient in all Microsoft Suite products, including MS Project
- Understanding of satellite hardware products company, working in a hardware production environment for space applications
- Knowledge of typical satellite hardware product customer requirements and associated technical solutions, needs, schedules, and costs
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Experience with proposal development, writing, and best practice capture processes, and ability to independently complete cost and technical proposals
- Frequent domestic and international travel is required
- Availability outside of normal business hours and/or weekends as needed
- Ability to obtain security clearance if necessary
WHAT TO EXPECT
We’re on a mission to unlock the potential of space to improve life on Earth, but that’s not an easy task. It takes hard work, determination, relentless innovation, teamwork, grit, and an unwavering commitment to achieving what others often deem impossible. Our people out-think, out-work and out-pace. We pride ourselves on having each other’s backs, checking our egos at the door, and rolling up our sleeves on all tasks big and small. We thrive under pressure, work to tight deadlines, and our focus is always on how we can deliver, rather than dwelling on the challenges that stand in the way.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.