Production Manager, Composites
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program. If you’re interested in joining a high performing team, pushing the boundaries with a clean sheet development of re-usable liquid launch vehicle, this is your opportunity!
PRODUCTION MANAGER, COMPOSITES
The Production Manager, Composites will be overseeing facility build up, and day to day production of composite structures and related hardware. They will support the Director of Production, Neutron Stages and Launch Systems Development organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Lead the build out of our SSC (Space Structures Complex) production facility in Baltimore MD.
- Oversee production equipment selection, layout, and installation.
- Manage processes and personnel for Composite Manufacturing Engineering and AFP (Automated Fiber Placement) Production
- Identify and rectify system level bottlenecks and/or shortages
- Develop the Production Manufacturing Roadmap to scale to full production rate
- Assess and implement new manufacturing technologies to meet future production needs.
- Coordinate between Structures and Programs to align program schedule.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain to ensure batch/lot procurements are being executed in an efficient manner.
- Ensure that project and department milestones are met on time and within budget
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or manufacturing
- Extensive manufacturing optimization experience
- 8+ years’ experience in Aerospace Manufacturing processes, including demonstrated expertise in the following areas:
- Hand lamination (carbon fiber, fiberglass, Kevlar, etc.)
- Bonding operations (Material abrading, surface cleaning, adhesives)
- High tolerance cutting, drilling, and assembly.
- Application of custom vacuum bags
- Previous experience establishing a new product line.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s or PhD in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering or similar
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.