Staff Consultant - Launch Systems
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Staff Consultant - Launch Systems
Rocket Lab is seeking an exceptional engineering leader to formulate mission solutions for launch customers in suborbital markets, including the Electron and Neutron launch vehicles. With high-demand to apply Rocket Lab’s unique capabilities to emerging DoD missions, NASA science, and point-to-point transportation – no two missions will be the same! As an Architect on the Electron and Neutron teams you will have a unique opportunity to help shape the Global Launch Services Division, and with the high launch cadence of Electron, unparallel opportunity to support advancement of critical US National Security and Civil Science needs.
The Launch Systems Staff Consultant will be responsible for developing Electron and Neutron missions for suborbital applications in support of the Global Launch Services Business Development and Strategy team. The Launch Systems Solutions Architect will lead the initial concept and launch vehicle configuration for rapid conceptual design of missions ranging from national security suborbital missions, test launches of ballistic and hypersonic payloads, and NASA sounding-rocket science. Responsibilities include the synthesis of multi-disciplinary inputs from Electron and Neutron subject-matter experts across GNC and Aerothermal analysis, Vehicle Engineering, Integrated Operations and Launch.
What you'll get to do:
- Primary technical architect contact to Business Development for proposal and mission concepts, including:
- Ballistic, Hypersonic, and unique suborbital trajectory design and analysis.
- Mission-specific requirements engineering
- Technical Volume proposal leadership and written contributions
- Leadership and coordination with engineering staff regarding vehicle system-level design needs based on mission requirements
- Frequent engagement with DoD, IC, and NASA Customers for communicating Rocket Lab mission solutions, including travel
- Working with the Rocket Lab Electron and Neutron engineers to:
- Create technical, cost, and schedule estimates for engineered mission solutions
- Documenting the proposed GNC solution and participating in early-phase design reviews with the customer.
- Develop tools and processes for automating common proposal analysis tasks.
- Support transition of solutions to mission execution phases
You'll bring these qualifications:
- Masters or Ph.D. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or comparable field.
- 5+ years’ experience developing and optimizing launch vehicle trajectories using POST, ASTOS or equivalent tool.
- 5+ years’ experience developing or analyzing GNC systems for launch vehicles, preferably in Python or MATLAB.
- 5+ years’ cross-disciplinary experience designing and analyzing systems for orbital and suborbital launch vehicles, sounding rockets, or missile bodies, including control systems, aerothermal, mechanical, and payload interfaces
- Thorough understanding of ballistic and hypersonics missile applications, system design, and analysis
- US Government security clearance Secret or TS/SCI
- Position requires 10% domestic travel
These Qualifications would be nice to have:
- Ph.D. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical engineering, or a comparable field.
- Thorough understanding of DoD and NASA suborbital (missile or sounding rocket) programs and customers
- Previous experience as technical contributor to US Government proposals
- Experience with US Government contracts
- Experience with Git version control.
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build strong working relationships.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.