Additive Manufacturing Technician
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program. If you’re interested in joining a high performing team, pushing the boundaries with a clean sheet development of re-usable liquid launch vehicle, this is your opportunity!
ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING TECHNICIAN
Based at Rocket Lab's headquarters in Long Beach, California the Additive Manufacturing Technician is responsible for supporting various Additive technologies (LPBF, DED, Hybrid Solutions) with various alloys. This role will support all Additive processes involved with the Rutherford & Archimedes engines. You will support the Manager of Additive Manufacturing and Production Additive Manufacturing organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
What You'll Get to Do:
- Uphold and follow all Additive safety measures – be an advocate for safe operations.
- Prepare additive print jobs for success through attention to detail on setups.
- Operate a variety of metal 3D printers, experience with EOS, SLM, & DMG preferred
- Identify and troubleshoot mechanical, optical laser, electrical, and build issues.
- Conduct calibration of 3D Printers and interpret findings with Engineering.
- Ensure conformance of part/build through independent inspection and print detail verification.
- Follow work orders, procedures, specifications, and test instructions with attention to detail. Communicate any issues that are found.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly preventative maintenance – as directed by Engineering.
- Provide process improvement feedback and implement solutions in collaboration with Engineering.
- Collaborate with Engineers on setup and fabrication of 3D prints and new hardware.
- Kick off issue tickets based on process/product non-conformances.
- Drive Additive Internal 5S system with actions promoting sustainability in the Additive Department.
- Utilize measurement tools (micrometer, caliper, surface plate etc.) to ensure high quality inputs and outputs, including post-print inspection and post-processing inspection.
You’ll bring these qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience in a manufacturing, fabrication, assembly or testing environment.
- Proficient in hand, power, and pneumatic tools such as drills, chisels, taps.
- Proficient in inspection methods: surface plate, calipers, micrometers, height gauge.
- Experience with operating machine tools: vertical mills, lathes, media blasters, cranes, or forklifts.
These qualifications would be nice to have:
- Experience with operating metal 3D printers and knowledge of associated hazards Experience with Additive Manufacturing (AM) principles.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Experience interpreting engineering drawings.
- Experience using JIRA.
- Ability to climb ladders and work in tight spaces.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs unassisted.
- Willingness to work overtime, flexible shift schedules and weekends when needed.
- Willingness to work around potentially hazardous material; Respiratory equipment and flame retardant PPE may be required.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.