Materials Lab Technician
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program. If you’re interested in joining a high performing team, pushing the boundaries with a clean sheet development of re-usable liquid launch vehicle, this is your opportunity!
MATERIALS LAB TECHNICIAN
Based at Rocket Lab's new headquarters in Long Beach, California the Materials Lab Technician is responsible for supporting the development of various Additive Manufacturing and Composite materials development. This role will support all Additive and Composites processes involved with the Neutron vehicle and Archimedes engines. You will support the Manager of Additive Manufacturing and Production Additive Manufacturing organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU'LL GET TO DO:
- Prepares/tests/evaluates/certifies all metallurgical tests required per internal production, customer and/or specification requirements.
- Operate testing equipment such as (but not limited to) Instron tensile frames at cryogenic and elevated temperatures, metallography testing (grind, polish, mount, microscopy), XRF analysis, SEM analysis, and hardness testing.
- Checks test samples for dimensions using precision measuring equipment such as gages, calipers, scales, micrometers.
- Monitors all work to ensure quality standards are maintained and adhered to all specifications and requirements.
- Interfaces with engineering to coordinate testing and test results.
- Maintains lab database with complete lab test results and accuracy.
- Maintains a clean work environment (including assigned storage and cleaning duties) in full compliance with company standards, customer and government regulations.
- Participate and support the internal & external audits and support metallurgical audits
- Ensures the company's commitment to maintain a safe workplace and to protect the environment through the establishment and support of Company policy and adherence to various government regulations.
- Performs other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Program/run lab heat treat oven for test coupons and some production parts.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- 2+ years of metallurgical lab experience or related functions
- Demonstrated familiarity with drawings, testing specifications, hand tools, bandsaw, cutoff machine, etc.
- Working knowledge of alloys, e.g., Ni, Cu, and Ti alloys.
- Experience testing carbon composite materials.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with Tensile Testing of Metallic / Composite Material
- Experience with test coupons preparation including cutting, mounting, polishing, and etching
- Experience with Macro and Micro Hardness Testing
- Experience with Optical Microscopy
- Experience with Round Robin Test
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality control, customer and NADCAP requirements.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational, and verbal/written communication skills.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.