Systems Safety Engineer I
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
About the role and what we are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic systems safety engineer at the start of their career who is looking to develop their skills in a fast-paced environment. Ideally you will have an engineering degree, but science disciplines will be considered. You will have an interest at the wider system level and enjoy working the interface between different disciplines, teams, and business areas and supporting them by producing the required safety compliance documentation.
What you’ll do
- Support senior members of the Systems Safety & Reliability team with the verification of risk reduction measures identified by hazard analysis. You should expect to be working with teams across the whole product life cycle from development, test, manufacturing, launch operations and facility management to close out hazard analysis actions. Where gaps are identified, you are expected to work with Occupational Health & Safety team to come to a solution that meets the internal customer’s needs whilst still fulfilling the requirements of the hazard analysis.
- Produce safety risk assessments and failure analysis independently on simpler systems.
- Support senior members of the Systems Safety & Reliability team with production of safety deliverables to regulators.
- Support the Occupational Health & Safety team with failure analysis of systems that are beyond their area of expertise.
- Support the production of safety compliance records.
- Good written skills and with an appreciation of the importance of good record keeping.
- Approach problems in a systematic manner.
- Approachable with a positive attitude and takes pride in pleasing internal customers.
- Comfortable with having multiple tasks on the go across different parts of the company.
- Ability to learn to learn new things quickly as supported by subject matter experts.
- Continuously developing your knowledge of safety standards applicable to the aerospace industry.
- Occasional travel within New Zealand may be expected.
- Experience with Range Safety Manuals, e.g., AFSPCMAN 91-710.
- Experience with requirements management tools such as DOORS or Jama for compliance management.
- Understanding of product safety under Quality Management System for Aviation, Space and Defense Industry AS9100.
What you'll get
We believe that your career should be rewarding, not just financially. We provide:
- An opportunity to quickly get to know the whole engineering life cycle within the launch business context.
- A supportive development environment where there is always something new to learn from the Rocket Lab family who are technically excellent and enthusiastic to help.
- A fast-paced and stimulating environment – there is never a dull moment or repetitive nature to your role.
- An environment where self-initiative is valued – we believe in solving problems and helping to move things forward.
If you are thrilled by seeing something you’ve been a part of the design process for, in action and making a difference in the world, then Rocket Lab is the place for you.
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and groundbreaking technology.
- An employee stock purchase program.
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career.
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit, and snacks.
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross.
- Additional parental leave entitlements.
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.