About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
Based out of Rocket Lab's site Sinclair Interplanetary in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the Quality Manager reports to the VP of Operations and is responsible for managing and coordinating all quality activities at the site across the full product life cycle for reaction wheels and star trackers. It is expected they will transform high-level company goals into an executable strategy, and proactively propose initiatives for consideration. The holder of the position is expected to exercise sound technical judgement and utilize data gathered from internal monitoring to implement suitable processes that enable capability for the company to reach targets. Day-to-day, the role involves working closely with management in the engineering, production, and operations teams to ensure that systems and processes across the organization consider quality requirements that match the company strategy.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Provide vision, leadership, and project coordination to the Quality Department as well as the larger business
- Implement and manage production non-conformance process in partnership with production and engineering management
- Develop and deploy a strategy for managing internal and external reports and documents (test logs, compliance matrices) with a focus on consistency and completeness
- Conduct continuous improvement activities to enhance the Quality Management System through waste elimination
- Identify non-value-added activities and propose method improvements
- Enhance visibility of risks and steer priorities to mitigate highest risk failure modes
- Ensure all staff/colleagues maintain current quality certifications
- Develop, implement, maintain, and improve Rocket Lab business standards, processes and quality procedures ensuring completion, accuracy, and alignment with the wider business
- Liaise with suppliers, contractors, and internal stakeholders to ensure quality/process compliance and controls are defined and maintained
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
- 8+ years of work experience
- 3+ years of experience in a high-skill, high-reliability production environment
- Experience with J-STD-001 or equivalent electronics manufacturing quality standard
- Experience supporting production of complex electrical or electro-mechanical systems in low to medium volume work centers and/or during production ramp-up
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s or PhD in engineering or other technical discipline
- Experience with quality management systems standards (e.g., AS9100 and ISO 9001)
- Experience designing and/or manufacturing hardware for space-based systems
- Knowledge of quality tools such as Lean principles, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Metrology, Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Control Plans, or various problem-solving approaches
- Proven track record of year-on-year product and process improvement activities
- Has successfully supported the introduction of a new product to the shop floor having been part of the design and process development process
- Conducted both process and design FMEAs which has resulted in substantial reduction of risk and design changes
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.