Senior Engineer - Integrated Electrical Systems
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
The Electron launch vehicle represents the most mature product line in the Rocket Lab family, encompassing all business processes from R&D to Production. These business processes encompass employee training and competencies, project management, engineering documentation and change control, manufacturing documentation and change control.
The Senior Engineer – Integrated Electrical Systems is responsible for the development, design, build, integration and testing of Avionics Systems in support of launch vehicle upper stages, specialist electrical ground support equipment and production automation tools.
The role spans all end-to-end development phases, from electrical architectures, concept definition, harness design, routing, deployment, system modelling, automation, integrated test, and launch operations support for a subsystem or function. The team is a cross-functional team spanning low-voltage avionics, power systems, and avionics-based safety systems.
This role is a highly technical role supporting the design of electrical subsystems that are optimized for reliability, performance, and mass; as well as testing, operator interfaces, regulatory compliance, and hands-on trouble shooting during test and launch; as well as contributing to the design environment such as data management and systems engineering.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in electrical system design, hardware development, or electronics test engineering.
- 3+ years’ experience with programming languages, scripting tools, and automation (C/C++, Python preferred).
- Highly proficient in electronics principles and electrical systems, including power electronics, communication systems (e.g RS-422, SPI, Ethernet, CAN bus), signal integrity, and grounding.
- Highly proficient with instrumentation, interfaces and sensors including power supplies, oscilloscopes, serial devices, accelerometers, thermocouples, RTDs, and 4-20mA sensors.
- Experience with eCAD and mCAD software packages such as Altium, SolidWorks Electrical, Rapid Harness, VeSys, Capitol, ePLAN, or Siemens NX.
- Experience in use of change management systems
- Professional experience in a fast-paced engineering environment.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. person as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.