Junior Avionics Engineer - Neutron Avionics Systems
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
About the role
As a Junior Engineer in the Neutron Avionics Systems Team, you will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the electrical architecture design of the Neutron launch vehicle, specialist ground support equipment and production automation tools.
The role spans all end-to-end development phases, from electrical architectures, concept definition, harness design, routing, deployment, system modelling, automation, integrated test, and launch operations support for a subsystem or function. The team is a cross-functional team spanning the avionics systems in the Neutron product breakdown structure (Command & Data Handling, Electrical Power, Auxiliary Monitoring, and Electrical Harnessing) with some input into Flight Safety Systems.
This role is a technical role supporting the design of electrical subsystems that are optimized for reliability, performance, and mass; as well as testing, operator interfaces, regulatory compliance, and hands-on trouble shooting during test and launch. The role includes contribution to the design environment such as data management and systems engineering.Essential skills
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience with hardware development or electronics test engineering
- Professional experience in a fast-paced engineering environment
- Excellent communication both written and verbal
- Strong understanding of instrumentation, interfaces and sensors including power supplies, oscilloscopes, serial devices, accelerometers, thermocouples, RTDs, and 4-20mA sensors
- Understanding of electrical principles and systems, including power electronics, communication systems (e.g RS-422, SPI, Ethernet, CAN bus), signal integrity, and grounding
- Understanding of electronic circuits, design principles and manufacturing techniques
- Understanding in analysing circuits and developing test plans
- Understanding of programming language, scripting tools, and automation (C/C++, Python preferred)
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits:
- The opportunity to work on innovative and groundbreaking technology.
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career.
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit and snacks.
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross.
- Additional parental leave entitlements.
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year.
- An employee stock purchase program.
If the above sounds like you,
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.