Senior Mechatronics Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
PSC by Rocket Lab is a well-known supplier of aerospace mechanisms for the satellite industry since 1998. To date, PSC has over 100 successful product operations in orbit. For more information about PSC, see www.planetarysystemscorp.com.
PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployable. PSC’s ~18,000 sq ft. facility includes areas for office, lab, shipping/receiving and material storage space.
SENIOR MECHATRONICS ENGINEER
Planetary Systems Corporation by Rocket Lab (PSC), a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a proactive mechatronics engineer with experience in design and development of electro-mechanical systems. PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployable. Candidates must be able to work independently in a small company environment. This position is not remote.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
- Development of electro-mechanical space systems. Includes design, prototyping, production, and test.
- Assist with manufacture and test of PSC products.
- Identify and implement quality and process-related initiatives and improvements.
- Analysis of electro-mechanical systems via classical and computer methods.
- Identify, test, and integrate instruments like IMUs, motor encoders, and power systems.
- Run development tests to debug designs.
- Maintain and improve test fixture control and data acquisition software.
- Inspection and quality control of machined parts.
- Occasional travel to meet with customers about PSC products.
- Subject matter expert for electrical soldering and harness requirements and procedures.
- Cognizant engineer to track and support on-time delivery of external customer programs.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- BS in Aerospace, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical, Robotics or Systems Engineering and at least 5 years’ experience building and controlling motor driven mechanisms or robots.
- Proficiency with electromechanical systems.
- Programming proficiency in Python, C++, MATLAB, and LabVIEW.
- Electrical circuit and PCB design
- Familiarity with troubleshooting basic equipment issues.
- Familiarity with common manufacturing processes. (e.g., CNC, turning, wire EDM, 3D printing).
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE
- Attention to detail, Strong analytical mindset, and Self-motivated.
- Ability to schedule and work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Effective verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers.
- MS in Aerospace, Electrical, Robotics or Systems Engineering.
- 6 years’ experience building and controlling motor driven mechanisms or robots.
- Familiarity with implementing AI.
- Industrial Interconnect familiarity (CAN bus or similar).
- ROS familiarity.
- Motor controller familiarity.
- Control algorithm familiarity.
- GPIO, serial, analog, and digital signals familiarity.
- CAD familiarity (Solidworks preferred).
- Proficiency in soldering to an industry standard (preferred J-STD-001).
- Experience with data acquisition and processing of electrical telemetry.
- Experience developing GUIs.
- Eagle application experience preferred
Additional Position Details:
Position Type: Full-time, in-person
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to travel and communicate outside of work hours. Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed.
Benefits: Paid vacation and holidays, medical, life, and disability insurance, 401k plan with company match, flex-time work schedule, new parent leave, and more.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.