Senior Program Manager
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER
Based out of Rocket Lab's new site in Albuquerque, NM as part of the SolAero Technologies acquisition, the Senior Program Manager is responsible for execution of the program lifecycle, including definition, planning, execution and closeout for programs assigned. The PM shall be responsible for managing program scope, schedule and budget (revenue forecasting, margin, profit & loss) in accordance with customer and corporate objectives while operating within policies, processes and procedures. The PM is accountable to ensure overall compliance with the requirements of the program contract and will partner with management, engineering, manufacturing, test and quality assurance to achieve compliance.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Serve as the principal point of contact for customers
- Responsible for entire program lifecycle, including definition, planning, execution, and closeout
- Ensure projects are successfully delivered on time, within budget, and to specifications
- Anticipate customer needs and successfully manage changes in project scope, schedule, budget, and personnel ensuring customer satisfaction
- Responsible for and has authority for the overall compliance with the requirements of SolAero Technologies programs, including management, engineering, manufacturing, test, and quality assurance activities
- Provide visibility to customers on all aspects of performance
- Define program tasks and schedules together with manufacturing, and provide budgets for accomplishing each task
- Interface with the management of the functional organizations to assure adequate resources are allocated to meet program cost, technical, and schedule requirements as planned
- Responsible for program profit & loss, and interface with the finance team in order to compile monthly reports
- Preempt potential problems and provide effective solutions in reaction to application of concepts, techniques, knowledge, or processes
- Make recommendations on leadership solutions to ensure project objectives are set and roles of team members are clear
- Proactively manage and communicate project risks and issues
- Recommend solutions to bottlenecks and conflicts between multiple teams/functions
- Monitor and review team delivery for internal, external, local, and remote resources; and hold team members accountable to commitments
- Communicate project progress frequently and effectively to staff and executive levels, and work effectively within organization to evaluate project results
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS – (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of Program Management experience using a project management methodology in a relevant production, development, or R&D environment
- Experience implementing cross-functional projects in a technical environment
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Program management experience in the solar and/or wind industries, specifically managing Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contracts
- Experience with Space-based solar projects and technologies
- Experience with DoD and/or NASA programs
- Experience with a variety of contract types – firm fixed price, cost-plus, etc.
- Experience in energy project management, financial analysis, or project financing within the solar industry is a plus, as well as good understanding of the economics of energy projects, including capital cost, variable cost, and IRR calculations
- Demonstrated achievements in planning, directing, and implementing complex projects on time, within budget and with desired functionality
- Ability to be broadly focused, while paying attention to detail and concurrently managing multiple efforts
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization, including staff, business stakeholders, and all levels of management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including those necessary for an executive audience
- Strong conflict resolution, negotiation, and influential skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced, changing, and ambiguous environments
- Proven experience with a project management methodology
- Highly organized and detail oriented
BENEFITS AND LOCATION:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Albuquerque, NM – depending on position
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision)
- 401k match up to 3%
- 10 paid company holidays and 16 days of PTO
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
SolAero by Rocket Lab is based in Albuquerque (ABQ), in the heart of New Mexico. ABQ offers both affordability and easy access to the outdoors and rich cultural centers such as museums and art galleries. With almost 300 days of sunshine a year, but also proximity to secluded ski slopes, there’s something for everyone who loves the outdoors. You’ll also find plenty of opportunities to try authentic New Mexican cuisine – a delicious blend of traditional Native American foods mixed with roasted green chiles. Fun fact: ABQ is the hot air ballooning capital of the world! It’s for all these reasons and more that New Mexico is known as the Land of Enchantment.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.