About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
The Quality Inspector will be responsible for inspection and verification of precision spacecraft attitude determination and control products, which are comprised of mechanical, electrical, and optical subassemblies. The successful candidate will inspect and/or verify a variety of components and subassemblies from Rocket Lab’s reaction wheel and star tracker product lines.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Visual inspection of assembled printed circuit boards (PCAs)
- Visual inspection of blank printed circuit boards (PCBs)
- Inspection, dimensional verification, and fit check of machined and 3D printed components
- Visual inspection of staking compounds (epoxy and/or Loctite) applied to electrical components, threaded fasteners, or other parts.
- Functional testing of reaction wheel and star tracker subassemblies and units
- Xray inspection of integrated optical subassemblies
- Xray inspection of PCB assemblies (PCAs)
- Final inspection (mass and photography) of parts, subassemblies, and integrated units
- Durometer measurements of cured epoxy samples
- Documentation of all activities and collected data
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1+ years of experience with quality inspection of electrical assemblies
- Current or prior inspection certification to IPC-A-610 Class 3, IPC-J-STD-001, or a related standard
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Current or prior certification to the Space Addendum of J-STD-001
- Ability to use digital or analog calipers/micrometer/dial gauge to measure critical dimensions
- Ability to use an optical microscope (4-20x magnification range)
- Ability to interpret and follow technical instructions supplemented by verbal instruction
- Familiarity with cleanroom/cleanbench best practices
- Familiarity with best practices for working with ESD-sensitive hardware
- Familiarity with PCA assembly processes
- Proactive, enthusiastic, self-motivated and open to learning new skills.
- Highly organized and able to work independently with strong attention to detail
- Excellent vision at close range (with or without corrective lenses)
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.