Space Operations Software Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
Based at Rocket Lab's Auckland Production Complex, New Zealand, the Spacecraft Operations Software Engineer will support the development of Rocket Lab’s Photon satellite bus, with an emphasis on operations software. In this role, you will be working to develop our Space Operations Software that is responsible for commanding and data handling for all of Photon’s operations in space as well as the mission software for some customer missions, as a product. This role will involve developing software to work with various cloud technologies, mission & ground software, customer APIs, and large databases.
You will help develop software for the operation of space systems and associated ground infrastructure (such as ground stations, mission control, etc), and develop and evolve ground-based software architecture for spacecraft operations. The missions you will work on are very diverse with operations on Rocket Lab's PHOTON satellite bus for customers with diverse payloads and roles. From LEO on-orbit manufacturing to deep space/interplanetary missions, LEO constellation operations, to supporting the commissioning and orbit raising phases to meet our customer’s CONOPS. You will work closely with flight software developers, Space Operations personnel, AIT engineers, and systems engineers to understand requirements and functional needs, then solve hard problems.
Essential skills and experience
- Tertiary qualification in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar.
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience within a relevant discipline
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Technical experience
- REST API’s and web-based applications
- Angular or other Frontend framework (React, Vue, etc)
- Space Operations ground SW development experience
- Experience with docker/kubernetes/helm
- Familiarity with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud) and infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g., Terraform)
- Python web experience (FastAPI or equivalent)
- Node.js/NPM ecosystem
- Time series database
- Experience working in a scrum/agile environment.
- Network programming (Sockets/WebSockets) and linux system
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and ground breaking technology
- An employee stock purchase program
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit, and snacks
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross
- Additional parental leave entitlements
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year
If the above sounds like you apply now!
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.