Senior Industrial Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
Based out of Rocket Lab's Headquarters in Long Beach, CA the Senior Industrial Engineer is responsible for performing low flow, high mix production system design and implementation, executing projects for product, process and equipment manufacturing improvements including the design, build, commissioning and production hand-off as well as displaying knowledge in manufacturing processes for aerospace materials including but not limited to TIG, EB and laser welding, heat treating, metal forming, additive manufacturing, CNC machining and precision cleaning.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
Production System Design
- Perform initial Value Stream Mapping Exercises, Method of Manufacture plans, cell design, etc.
- Define and implement Factory layouts, Equipment selection, FAT, SAT, and production commissioning
- Capital and facilities justification, project management and implementation
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume requirements including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process in your area using lean tools and techniques such as 5S
- Introduce automation where appropriate and ensure equipment data links directly to MRP and quality systems
- Identify risks and improvements to develop the manufacturing engineering department to meet company needs
- Production Scheduling, Budgets and Forecasts, Defect Analysis and Benchmarking Analysis, Core Competency Definition, Resource Allocation, Scenario Planning, Discrete Event Simulation, Make/Buy Evaluations, and Cost/Price Evaluations.
- Time studies and waste reduction planning
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Operations Research, Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or similar engineering degree
- 5+ years in Manufacturing Environment and/or Industrial Engineering Positions
- Experience with designing, implementing, and supporting a production line and/or build area
- Experience with CAD systems such as NX, Solidworks, etc
- Experience in the application of Lean Manufacturing tools and methodologies
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Advanced engineering degree (Preferably, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace)
- 8+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment and/or Industrial Engineering Positions
- Operations Management, Advanced Data Mining, MSE and/or MBA
- Experience transitioning products from design to production as a part of cross-functional team in a fast-paced, iterative design environment
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.