Summer 2024 Internship/ Co-Op - Software
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
As a global company, each Rocket Lab site has its own unique internship offerings, but each position is designed to provide students with real-world experience and an opportunity to impact real programs within the space industry. Internships are available in the following North American locations: (US Locations) Long Beach, California (Headquarters); Littleton, Colorado; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Stennis, Mississippi; Silver Spring, Maryland; Wallops Island, Virginia; (Canada Location) Toronto, Ontario, Canada
WHAT YOU'LL GET TO DO
- As an intern, you will work closely with your mentor and other employees within the department to apply your knowledge and grow your skills both technically and professionally
- Work with a fast-paced group of professionals to apply engineering and industry concepts to solve real challenges
- Attend frequent 1:1’s with mentors and supervisors to facilitate success and learning while providing progress updates
- Enjoy tech talks and network with other interns and employees through social and professional events
YOU'LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
Ideal candidates will thrive in ambiguity and are excited to work in small, high-performing teams that are focused on continued learning and growth. Success in this position will be measured by the knowledge and experience you bring to the role, your ability to lead development projects without supervision, and your ability to successfully collaborate across teams to deliver results.
- Must be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in an engineering, computer science, physics or math discipline and have at least one semester of school remaining post internship
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- 3+ months of applied software engineering experience (internship, laboratory, and personal/team project experience is applicable)
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE
- GPA of 3.5 or above
- 6+ months of applied software engineering (internship, laboratory, and personal/team project experience is applicable)
- Able to work full-time, on-site for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks beginning May or June 2024
COMPENSATION AND OTHER BENEFITS
- Pay Range CA: $30.00 USD Hourly
- Pay Range CO: $27.00 USD Hourly
- You may be eligible for a stipend to subsidize relocation costs
ROCKET LAB SOFTWARE TEAMS
FLIGHT SOFTWARE & GROUND SOFTWARE: As part of the flight software team, you get to develop and test spacecraft application software for the Photon satellite program. In this role, you will work in multidisciplinary teams involving hardware development, ground software / operations, and systems engineering.
GUIDANCE, NAVIGATION, AND CONTROL (GNC): Our GNC team works on complex spacecraft systems and software solutions. It’s a fast-paced innovative environment that develops leading edge spacecraft flight software for commercial and government programs. On this team, you’ll contribute to the design, development, integration, and testing activities of embedded software for spacecraft command and control.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.