Team Lead - Structures and Mechanical Systems
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
The Structures and Mechanical Systems team supports the hardware design, analysis and test design during development of Photon, Space Systems satellites and Space systems satellite components.
The SMS team works closely with other Engineering and Production teams in Space Systems, including RLHQ and other RL sites, to bring new concepts to life. This includes the development of our spacecraft systems, related data structures and documentation to support the manufacturing and performance improvement of Space Systems programs.
As part of the SMS team at Rocket Lab, you will be strongly influencing the design, analysis, and structural test of space systems products. Success in this position will be measured by the value of the knowledge and experience in design, analysis and test/manufacturing that you bring into this role, your ability to lead projects without supervision, successful collaboration with other teams across Rocket Lab, and the skilful prioritization of competing engineering development projects across the team/s.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Aerospace/Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineering)
- 5+ years working experience in Engineering
- Significant experience modelling with 3D CAD software, ideally NX CAD, and associated PLM solution (Teamcenter)
- Creative, analytical, good at problem solving
- Ability to work on own initiative with ability to plan own daily workflow to meet higher level tasks
- Clear communication skills
- Calm under pressure
- Graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years experience specifically on aerospace/satellite development programs, anywhere from initial design through on-orbit operations
- Experience leading teams
- Understanding of key spacecraft subsystems and their associated components, including attitude determination and control, spacecraft electrical power systems, space-ground communications, on-orbit command and data handling, and thermal control.
- Experience in one of the following areas: pressurized mechanical systems, mechanical moving assemblies, composites structures, structural test engineering, dynamic loads analysis, cryogenic systems including oxygen service systems.
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and ground breaking technology
- An employee stock purchase program
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit, and snacks
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross
- Additional parental leave entitlements
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year
If the above sounds like you apply now!
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.