Frontier Radio Technical Program Manager
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
Frontier Radio Program
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on its Frontier Radio Program. The Frontier Radio is a family of satellite/spacecraft transceivers that enable communications and radiometric navigation for near earth and deep space missions. The Frontier Radio family includes the Frontier-S, used on Rocket Lab’s Photon satellite bus that supported the NASA Capstone mission, and the Frontier-X, which will support the NASA Escapade mission to Mars. Additional variants are under development to satisfy growing internal and external customer demand.
Frontier Radio Technical Program Manager
Based out of Rocket Lab Headquarters in Long Beach, California, the Frontier Radio Technical Program Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of radio development and introduction, is the primary interface to Frontier Radio customers, and is responsible for ensuring radios are delivered to customers on schedule, within the project budget and per customer expectations. The successful candidate will have a strong combination of RF systems engineering and program management skills, will have proven experience in related projects, and will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Manage the development and introduction of new radios/features, ensuring required timeframes and customer expectations are satisfied
- Capture customer requirements and expectations, including required radio configuration/s, order quantifies, delivery dates, product features and special test requirements
- Ensure production planning addresses customer needs
- Monitor the production process, consolidate EIDPs and arrange delivery shipments
- Maintain customer communications post-delivery, if needed coordinate technical support
- Develop and maintain customer relationships across the customer delivery process, ensuring radio deliverables are of the highest quality and meet customer requirements
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with all internal program stakeholders
- Travel domestically and internationally as the project requires
- Maintain a schedule per customer program
- Report status and budget to Rocket Lab leadership
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, aerospace, or a similar technical discipline
- 6+ years of experience developing RF communications systems
- 4+ years of project management or team lead experience
- Experience with systems engineering methods including systems trades, requirements management, performance characterization, and interface management
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of radio communications, including component theory of operation, modulation and coding and communications link budgets
- Significant RF test experience applied to RF components and communications systems
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Clearance
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, aerospace, or a similar technical discipline
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to build strong working relationships
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines
- Thorough understanding of space systems and subsystems, and depth across multiple spacecraft engineering disciplines
- Project management qualifications such as PMP, APMP, etc.
- Ability to identify and address problems with a proactive and systemic approach
- Proficiency with project and engineering management tools such as Microsoft Project, Smartsheet, etc.
- Active DoD Secret or Top Secret/SCI security clearance, or ability to obtain one upon being hired
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.