Aerospace Environmental Test Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
PSC by Rocket Lab is a well-known supplier of aerospace mechanisms for the satellite industry since 1998. To date, PSC has over 100 successful product operations in orbit. For more information about PSC, see www.planetarysystemscorp.com.
PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. PSC’s ~18,000 sq. ft. facility includes areas for office, lab, shipping/receiving and material storage space.
AEROSPACE ENVIRONMENTAL TEST ENGINEER
Planetary Systems Corporation by Rocket Lab (PSC), a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a proactive engineer with experience in aerospace environmental testing. Candidates must be able to work independently in a small company environment. This position is not remote.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
- Execute aerospace environmental tests including vibration, thermal vacuum, shock, static loads and reliability.
- Write and improve test procedures for above tests.
- Help develop internal test requirements.
- Identify and implement test improvement processes (hardware and software).
- Collaborate with program managers and R&D team to support custom testing.
- Analyze electro-mechanical systems via classical and computer methods.
- Identify, test, and integrate instruments like IMUs, motor encoders and power systems.
- Maintain and improve test fixture control and data acquisition software.
- Assist with maintenance and calibration of test equipment.
- Cognizant engineer to track and support on-time delivery of external customer programs.
- Occasional travel to meet with customers about PSC products.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, Systems Engineering, or similar degree.
- 4+ years’ experience with aerospace environmental testing: thermal-vacuum, vibration and shock preferred.
- Familiarity with aerospace test standards such as NASA GEVS and SMC-S-016.
- Programming proficiency (LabVIEW preferred).
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE
- Masters in relevant engineering degree.
- 6+ years’ experience with aerospace environmental testing.
- CAD proficiency (SolidWorks preferred).
- Familiarity with electromechanical systems.
- Experience developing data acquisition systems and processing of electrical telemetry.
- Experience automating test cells.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
- Physical requirements: Ability to lift 50 lb. to chest height, stand up to 8 hr/day and install and torque fasteners.
Additional Position Details:
Position Type: Full-time, in-person
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation and holidays, medical, life, and disability insurance, 401k plan with company match, flex-time work schedule, new parent leave, and more.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.