Lead Buyer, Machining
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
PSC y Rocket Lab
Planetary Systems Corporation by Rocket Lab (PSC), a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a Lead Buyer, Machining to ensure materials are efficiently procured in accordance with manufacturing schedules. PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. This position is not remote.
WHAT YOU'LL GET TO DO:
- Accountable for converting purchase requisitions into purchase orders after appropriately evaluating vendor capability, price, delivery needs, and vendor performance.
- Accountable for the on-time-delivery of purchased parts from vendors.
- Responsible for managing the RFQ process to secure competitive bids and ensure we are achieving best price for goods and services.
- Assist in determining demand, supply, and fulfilment planning within the MRP system.
- Responsible for ensuring Bill of Materials, parts, and master data, are maintained within ERP
- Accountable for timely release of purchase planning messages to the Procurement Team.
- Responsible for updating demand to accommodate Engineering Change Orders, and communicating changes to Procurement.
- Integrate with Engineering teams to meet procurement requirements and act as primary point of contact for order status communication.
- Provide status to material planners on latest status of purchase orders and expected delivery dates
- Accountable for negotiating terms with suppliers to meet quality, cost and delivery requirements.
- Accountable for maintaining purchase order data within the ERP system.
- Assist in maintaining business relationships with assigned suppliers.
- Additional duties as reasonably required.
YOU'LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, supply chain or other relevant fields.
- 3+ years of related experience as Buyer, Manufacturing Engineer, or similar.
- 3+ years of experience in purchasing complex custom machines components
- Experience sourcing complex machined parts and onboarding vendors
- Experience interpreting schematics and drawings and the ability to communicate effectively with suppliers.
- Experience with the subtractive manufacturing process and the types of equipment required to manufacture different part characteristics
- Knowledge of purchasing processes.
- Proficient in MS Office, ERP systems, math and statistics
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10% of time
- Capacity to comply with the federally mandated requirements of U.S. export control laws.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Prior experience leading a team and/or project
- Prior experience in aerospace, automotive, or manufacturing industries.
- Familiarity with Fishbowl Inventory software
- Familiarity with LN ERP software
- Experience with AS9100 and US export controls
- Strong analytical mindset
- Ability to work collaboratively with other technically-minded employees
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, with the ability to prioritize effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
Team oriented, strong ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment and to multiple deadlines.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.