Test Operations Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program.
TEST OPERATIONS ENGINEER
Based out of Rocket Lab's Test Facility at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi, the Test Operations Engineer is responsible for activation and operations of critical test facilities to support the Archimedes rocket engine and the Neutron launch vehicle. You will collaborate closely with Engine and Vehicle Propulsion groups to develop test procedures and test sequencing requirements. You will be responsible for configuration, checkout and operation of the engine hot fire facility and associated support infrastructure. Your work will require technical discipline and expertise in mechanical systems but also in monitoring instrumentation and command and control systems. You must be responsible for safety of you and those around you. You may be asked to directly support Engine hardware and Engine checkout operations. You will become skilled in Test Operations roles and be expected to work independently in support of the overall test facility design, build, activation, and engine test efforts.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Perform facility test operations on console while maintaining situational awareness and constant communication with others involved in the test activity
- Both lead and be part of a team of technicians and engineers who setup and operate the test facility
- Conduct test operations safely and ensure the quality and integrity of data is maintained
- Perform troubleshooting to resolve facility and test operations issues
- Work to plan and optimize checkout, processing, testing and posttest operations
- Collaborate with Archimedes engine and Neutron vehicle design teams to prepare and perform tests on key engine and stage hardware
- Work hand in hand with the GSE teams to complete design, build, installation and checkout of facility systems. This includes helping maintain cleanliness and integrity of systems, ensuring proper checkouts are performed, and data acquisition systems are properly calibrated
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or electrical engineering, equivalent disciplines
- 3+ years’ experience operating rocket engine test stands or launch complexes
- Knowledge of National Instruments LabVIEW software and hardware
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Broad general background in your engineering discipline with ability to design systems and develop computer tools for automation or analysis
- Experience operating facilities for liquid oxygen and liquid methane
- Background that demonstrates personal development which might include pilot training, scouting, sports teams especially any leadership roles in those activities
- Working knowledge of computer networks and IT infrastructure
- Demonstrated experience working with various disciplines, fabricators and suppliers to achieve on-time project execution
- Ability to remain unfazed by ambiguity or changes in strategic direction while maintaining a positive attitude and being self-actualized and self-guided
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?