Composite Technician II - Assembly (Internal Tank)
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
As part of the Production team at Rocket Lab, the Composites team is responsible for building and assembling numerous parts of the Electron rocket. From pressurised tanks, Structural Assemblies, Propellent Filters right through to Payload hardware and Heat shields. You will undertake all aspects of the build required during production, while adhering to Rocket labs High standards of Quality, and secondly meeting the schedule demand set out by the production leadership team.
As a Technician, you will be hands on, working with tools, equipment and/or facilities to build, launch or test Rocket Lab launch vehicles or components. Your responsibilities contribute to the overall production and launch schedule
- Trade qualified in relevant industry
- Must be able to demonstrate 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Precision Lamination skills of prepreg systems
- Precision Lamination skills of Tooling Prepreg systems
- Knowledge of Bagging for oven and Autoclave cures
- Basic Hand tool skills
- Interpret and apply laminate and assembly drawings to ensure product quality
- Produce a laminate by vacuum bagging for composites
- Produce a cord laminate item
- Produce an open mould from a plug pattern
- Repair damaged or faulty composite items
- Select, use, and care for hand tools used in the marine or composite industry
- Select, use, and care for portable power tools used in the marine or composite industry
- Perform measurements and calculations used in a marine or composite workplace
- Interpret and apply assembly drawings to ensure product quality
- Apply health and safety procedures in a marine or composite workplace
- Operate simple mechanical plant used in the marine or composite industry
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously
- Able to read, understand and follow manufacturing instructions and drawings
- A high work ethic, always seeking more responsibility. Able to work long hours if required
- Takes initiative
- Remains calm under pressure
- Computer literate, and comfortable using smartphones and tablets
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and distruptive technology
- An employee stock purchase program
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit, and snacks
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross
- Additional parental leave entitlements
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year
to receive a confidential phone call and/or position description.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?