Aerospace Metrology Technician
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
PSC by Rocket Lab is a well-known supplier of aerospace mechanisms for the satellite industry since 1998. To date, PSC has over 100 successful product operations in orbit. For more information about PSC, see www.planetarysystemscorp.com.
PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. PSC’s ~18,000 sq. ft. facility includes areas for office, lab, shipping/receiving and material storage space.
Aerospace Metrology Technician
Planetary Systems Corporation by Rocket Lab (PSC), a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a skilled Aerospace Metrology Technician. Candidates must be able to work independently in a small company environment. This position is not remote.
WHAT YOU'LL GET TO DO:
- Inspect mechanical and electrical components before use in traceable spacecraft assemblies.
- Use of calipers, micrometers, gages, comparators, hardness testers, and other common mechanical inspection tools.
- Create Standard Operating Procedures for specific mechanical parts.
- Communicate findings through written standardized documentation and verbal discussion.
- Idea generation of potential process improvements.
- Shipping and receiving of components per standard company procedures.
YOU'LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associates degree and 2+ years of experience in a similar role in aerospace, manufacturing, or relevant industries - OR - 2 additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Mechanical inclination to enable cost-effective inspection solutions.
- Familiarity with common tools for home maintenance
- Capacity to comply with the federally mandated requirements of U.S. export control laws.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- GD&T experience
- Previous inspection experience
- Familiarity with MRP/ERP software
- Familiarity with simple electrical schematics and components.
- Skill to prioritize and execute multiples tasks with varying durations and deadlines.
- Desire to take initiative and solve problems.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other technically minded employees.
- Strong technical and mechanical capability.
- Familiarity with common inspection tools, e.g. calipers, multimeters, micrometers, gages, comparators, etc.
- Attention to detail necessary to verify inspected components meet required specifications.
- Integrity and focus to follow and execute procedures.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Physical requirements: Ability to work on feet for 6+ hours each day.
Additional Position Details:
Position Type: Full-time, in-person
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland -- This position is not remote.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation and holidays, medical, life, and disability insurance, 401k plan with company match, flex-time work schedule, new parent leave, free coffee and snacks, and more.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?