Business Development Director, Software Products
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. We are also an exclusive manufacturing partner for advanced radio technology licensed from the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, SOFTWARE PRODUCTS
Based out of Rocket Lab's office in Littleton, Colorado as part of the ASI acquisition, the Business Development Director, Software Products is responsible for managing all business development activities for software products, including ground systems, flight software, and simulation tools. You will also support senior leadership and the Business Development organization, with deliverables required for our Board of Directors and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Lead Rocket Labs software products business development, generating and executing sales of strategically aligned software products to meet and exceed sales metrics for the Space Systems division, including flight software, ground software, mission simulation tools, etc.
- Develop and implement sales plans, systems, policies, initiatives, and procedures to manage the sales pipeline and close deals
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing team in creating software product collateral, marketing material, and strategic communications; and the Engineering and Production/Operations teams to ensure adequate plans for low lead-time delivery of star trackers and reaction wheels
- Lead research on the software product competitive landscape and market, lead forecasting of sales, determine pricing, and provide support for business development, strategy, and the space systems product and services roadmap
- Grow existing business opportunities and nurture relationships with existing customers to develop additional business opportunities
- Create new business opportunities and relationships by presenting Rocket Lab’s capabilities/experience to provide software products
- Responsible for forecasting pipeline (non-backlog) element of revenue
- Develop and present bid/no-bid strategies, and manage proposal planning, preparation, and submission
- Advise on, and help implement, technology licensing deals and strategic acquisitions for new and strategically aligned space systems elements
- Identify and obtain RFPs from aerospace/satellite primes and other satellite integrators for new and continuing space mission and program opportunities
- Lead and/or participate in proposal activities, including generation of technical, management, cost, schedule, and proposal content for new business
- Develop strong relationships across all levels of the business to ensure alignment, efficiency, and collaboration, including coordinating with stakeholders at ASI by Rocket Lab
- Represent ASI by Rocket Lab at industry conferences and customer meetings
- Travel as needed for business opportunities
- Other duties as assigned or required
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
- 10+ years of experience working with contractors in the aerospace or defense industry
- Experience in the aerospace/satellite sector
- Experience with satellite flight or ground software products development, manufacturing, and/or sales
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or related engineering field; or business
- Specialization in US government business development, with deep experience selling to US national security (Space Force, NRO, SDA, etc.) and civil space customers (NASA, NOAA, etc.)
- Demonstrable record of success in business development, sales, program management and/or engineering of satellite software products
- Extensive awareness of current/ongoing commercial and government satellite programs
- Experience and/or deep understanding of engineering design, analysis, and test of satellite flight and ground software is preferred
- Experience and knowledge of satellite mission operations
- Excellent verbal and written communication/presentation skills
- Must be personable and able to interface well with customers, and present to large groups
- Experience leading, managing, and growing geographically disperse teams on fast-paced projects
- Ability to take ownership and action on challenges, and step up to manage tough situations while encouraging colleagues and direct reports to do the same
- Proficient in all Microsoft Suite products, including MS Project
- General knowledge of industry specific technical requirements and quality requirements
- Understanding of a software products company, and experience working in a software production environment for space applications
- Knowledge of typical software product customer requirements and associated technical solutions, needs, schedules, and costs
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Experience with proposal development, writing, and best practice capture processes, and ability to independently complete cost and technical proposals
- Frequent domestic and international travel is required
- Availability outside of normal business hours and/or weekends as needed
- Ability to obtain security clearance if necessary
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?