Senior Cost Accountant
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Based at Rocket Lab’s headquarters in Long Beach, California the Senior Cost Accountant will be responsible for the cost analysis and overtime customer contract revenue, cost of sales, project inventory and estimated margin analysis. This position requires the ability to maintain accurate revenue and cost of sales for significant Rocket Lab customer contracts.
The Senior Cost Accountant will report to Cost Accounting Manager and work closely with the accounting team and partner with various team members throughout the organization.
What you'll get to do:
Project Revenue & Cost Activities:
- Evaluate and establish new Rocket Lab Customer Contracts performance of obligation to ensure the revenue and cost match meet GAAP requirements.
- Assign project numbers based on performance obligations to Customer Contracts
- Manage and update weekly “Contract Project Master Data” for cost accounting
- Organize monthly meetings with Project Managers and Planners to evaluate and document project progress
- Calculate the project changes impact to the project estimated cost to complete
- Publish monthly Projects Estimated Margin Variance Report for Overtime and Point in Time Contracts
- Collaborates with other department managers in reporting and reviewing various project cost trends and key project performance indicators.
- Initiate process improvement projects to update transactional, financial, and reporting processes.
Month End Activities:
- Prepare and update inventory by project
- Book monthly journal entries to recognize Overtime Contracts Revenue and Cost
- Analyze and reconcile monthly inventory and Sales & Cost of Goods Sold Accounts
- Complete revenue and cost of sales - SOX Control Requirements
- Support R&D Project Cost Analyst
- Complete quarterly inventory Flex Analysis
- Prepare quarterly overtime contracts “Revenue and Cost” Auditors Schedule
- Support annual labor rates and overhead setup
- Provide support with internal and external audit requests
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to explain complex project cost information to others
- Strong skills to analyze variance, attention to details organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Analytical & independent problem-solving skills to evaluate operations activities and financial impact to project cost
- Ensuring compliance with GAAP and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Experience with manufacturing ERP System to evaluate production orders cost, bill of materials and routings
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Advance Excel skill is a must
You'll bring these qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the general ledger and cost accounting area.
These qualifications would be nice to have:
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment, preferably within the aerospace and defense industry.
- ERP experience using Infor LN, Oracle, JDE, SAP or similar ERP system
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?