Environmental Test Technician
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
PSC by Rocket Lab is a well-known supplier of aerospace mechanisms for the satellite industry since 1998. To date, PSC has over 100 successful product operations in orbit. For more information about PSC, see www.planetarysystemscorp.com.
PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. PSC’s ~18,000 sq. ft. facility includes areas for office, lab, shipping/receiving and material storage space.
Environmental Test Technician
Planetary Systems Corporation (PSC) by Rocket Lab, a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a proactive Environmental Test Technician to execute various aerospace environmental tests.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Perform environmental testing of aerospace mechanisms using established procedures. Tests include static load, thermal vacuum, benchtop operation, separation, shock and vibration.
- Operate spaceflight hardware and test fixtures using data acquisition system and established procedures.
- Attach and remove components on spaceflight hardware.
- Inspect mechanical and electrical components after test completion.
- Perform maintenance on test fixtures.
- Idea generation of potential process improvements.
- Assist with non-conformance investigations.
YOU’LL BRING THESE SKILLS:
- Strong technical capability and mechanical inclination.
- Familiarity with common aerospace assembly and inspection tools. e.g. torque wrenches, load cells, feeler gauges, calipers, multimeters.
- Integrity and focus to follow and execute procedures.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously.
- Effective verbal and written communication abilities.
- Attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Technical degree or previous experience in a relevant position
- Understanding of basic electronic circuitry
- Capacity to comply with the federally mandated requirements of U.S. export control laws.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- 2+ years’ experience in aerospace environmental testing.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to lift 55 lb. (25 kg) in and out of a 4 ft (1.2 m) tall test fixture
- Standing up to 8 hr/day
- Ability to use both hands
- Ability to climb a ladder
Position Type: Hourly, full-time 40 hours/week with option for occasional overtime
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland -- This position is not remote.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation and holidays, medical, life, and disability insurance, 401k plan with company match, flex-time work schedule, new parent leave, free coffee and snacks, and more
Travel: Occasional to local external test facilities (typically less than 1 hour drive)
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?