Senior Mechanical Development & Test Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
About Rocket Lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
About the role
The Senior Mechanical Development & Test Engineer works with the design and analysis teams to develop launch vehicle fluid systems and fluid components, mechanisms and structures. Responsibilities include developing component requirements, prototype testing, specifying and executing testing in formal qualification programs, and the specification of acceptance test programs for flight articles. In addition, you will be expected to mentor and teach junior engineers. In this role you can expect to be involved in cutting edge programs from Rocket Lab’s Neutron medium-lift vehicle to interplanetary missions.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Aerospace/Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineering)
- 5+ years’ developing and testing mechanical systems
- Knowledge of instrumentation and signal acquisition (pressure, temperature, flow, etc.), a good understanding of error in measurement.
- Creative, analytical, good at problem solving with a strong physics and mechanical engineering intuition
- Ability to see the big picture and make connections i.e. think at the system level
- The ability to take a flexible approach and to adapt to change quickly
- Clear communication skills and ability to convey your technical understanding to juniors
- Calm under pressure
- Good hands on engineering skills
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and ground breaking technology
- An employee stock purchase program
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit and snacks
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross
- Additional parental leave entitlements
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.