Fusion Research Intern
Realta Fusion is a rapidly growing start-up developing compact magnetic mirror fusion energy systems to address the biggest challenge of our time – tackling global climate change while ensuring a sufficient energy supply for at least ten billion people. Realta is targeting the need to decarbonize industrial process heat as the fastest path to full-scale deployment of our technology. We are building a team with diverse talents dedicated to making fusion energy a real solution to humanity’s energy challenges.
About the Internship Role
Research Laboratory Interns will assist with the construction, installation, and operation of Realta contracted projects on the Wisconsin High-temperature superconducting Axisymmetric Mirror (WHAM) experiment. Applicants can expect to gain experience of working safely with high vacuum systems, pulsed power hardware, control system software, high-temperature superconducting magnets, and fusion specific plasma diagnostics.
Why Join Us
The field of fusion energy is transitioning from experimental research settings to commercial/industrial applications in this decade. If Realta Fusion or any of the tens of other private fusion energy companies around the world are successful, the demand for persons with fusion laboratory skills will rapidly increase. This is an opportunity to gain firsthand experience in a fast-growing field.
- Assist Realta and WHAM personnel in the installation and operation of WHAM experimental campaigns. Activities may include machining, assembling, cleaning, installing/removing, monitoring, debugging, and operating of experimental subsystems. All work will be performed under the guidance of Realta and WHAM staff.
- Able to work on-site primarily at the Physical Sciences Laboratory (Stoughton, WI) and occasionally the Realta Fusion office (Madison, WI)
- Able to stand for 2-4 hours at a time
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Must have reliable transportation to commute to Stoughton and Madison
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Methodical work habits with strong commitment to safety
Desired Skills (not essential to apply)
- Comfort with simple tools and hardware
- Familiarity with soldering and basic electronics
- Basic knowledge of common lab software programs (LabVIEW, Python)
- This is a summer 2024 internship at the Physical Sciences Laboratory and Realta Fusion Madison office between May and August 2024 (start/end dates to be determined). On-site work is required.
- Estimated compensation of $18-23/hour, depending on experience
- Full-time (36-40 hours/week) internship
- Details on compensation will be discussed with qualified applicants
We value diversity as a critical factor in innovation and believe a diverse team is necessary to solve the toughest problems. We aim to create an inclusive environment that unleashes the full creativity of our team members from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws.