Senior Cryogenics Engineer
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2023
Q Bio is building technology for the Physical of the Future that measures more, faster and cheaper about the human body, to enable proactive primary care for all. We're revolutionizing primary care with the first clinical digital twin platform, powered by breakthrough whole-body scanning technology, that highlights the most important changes in a person’s physiology for sharing with physicians and specialists anywhere in the world.
Q Bio’s clinical digital twin platform, Gemini, is the first to capture and monitor comprehensive baseline patient health in a scalable virtual model. The Gemini Dashboard highlights the most important chemical and anatomical changes in an individual weighted by an individual’s lifestyle, genetic and medical history, that can be securely shared with physicians and specialists all over the world.
Gemini is powered by the fastest, most accessible, whole body scanner developed: the Mark I. Self-driving and optimized for primary care, the Mark I can complete a whole-body scan in 15 minutes or less in an open space, without radiation, breath holds, or claustrophobia. Patient comfort is maximized with the option to sit, stand, or lie down, and real-time telemetry is displayed throughout.
Why should you consider a career with Q Bio?
We dream big. Our team is aligned and excited about the opportunity to save lives and understand the human body like never before. We know how critical empowering and supportive leadership is, both to our excellence as a company, and for our team experience as a whole, and our leadership team will empower and support career growth. We’re a team of engineers, scientists, and operators who come from a diverse background of disciplines and experiences. We value teamwork, growth, determination and persistence, commitment to collaboration, and a reliance on staying nimble while keeping the big picture in mind.
Join our team and lead the development of cutting-edge quantitative MRI techniques, creating a comprehensive whole body Digital Twin. From concept to deployment, you will play a critical role in shaping the future of MRI technology and bring it to the forefront of medical innovation.
As a Senior Cryogenics Engineer you will be responsible for the design, prototyping and productization of the cryogenic system for the crucial component of Q Bio Mark-I: the superconducting magnet. You will play a critical role in the development of the most accessible MRI scanner ever developed, and be part of a paradigm shift in health care and precision medicine!
- Define requirements and specifications for the cryogenic system of the superconducting magnet for Mark-I whole body MRI scanner.
- Lead the cryogenic system design, thermal transfer and heat load analysis and cryogenic components development (cryocoolers, compressors, radiation shield, MLI, valves, temperature sensors, pressure gauge, high temperature current leads, etc.).
- Create and maintain CAD models and technical drawings for the cryogenic system, and interface with manufacturing companies to drive the production.
- Develop and implement comprehensive verification/validation test plans for cryogenic mechanical systems, leading testing efforts and evaluating results to ensure compliance with requirements and performance standards.
- Lead the verification and validation for the cryogenic system.
- Develop service tools to support cryogenic system maintenance & safety of magnets.
Qualifications for this role:
- Master's degree in cryogenics, mechanical engineering, physics, or a related discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in superconducting magnet design or cryogenic system design.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in designing, fabricating, commissioning, and operating liquid helium cryogenic systems and components.
- Proficiency in using commercial FEA/CFD tools for thermal analysis.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and protocols related to cryogenic systems.
- Excellent communication and prioritization skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
Additional qualifications that would be beneficial for this role include:
- Ph.D. degree in cryogenics, mechanical engineering, physics, or a related discipline.
- At least 5 years of experience in superconducting magnet design or cryogenic system design.
- Experience in GM cryogenic refrigeration systems, high vacuum systems, cryopumps, and helium leak testing.
- Experience in mechanical design of superconducting magnets.
- Knowledge and experience in cryogenic testing, temperature sensors, and hardware and software for data acquisition systems.
- Hands-on experience with CAD and numerical modeling software, including multi-physics simulations.
- Proven track record of gathering system requirements, creating design documentation, developing test plans, and preparing other supporting documentation.
- Flexibility and adaptability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals.
Q Bio was founded in 2015 by serial entrepreneur Jeffrey Kaditz, Dr. Michael Snyder, Chair of Genetics and Director of Personalized Medicine at Stanford University, and Dr. Garry Choy, physician, radiologist, and former Chief Medical Information Officer at Mass General Hospital. Q Bio has raised over $80M from world class investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, SciFi VC, and many more.
Q Bio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.