Scientist, Assay Development
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Pendulum® is on a mission to help people improve physical and mental health by creating a new category of products that target the microbiome. We are researching, developing and commercializing a novel class of rationally-designed Live Synbiotics™ (probiotics + prebiotics) that have demonstrated clinical efficacy to treat conditions like metabolic syndrome, inflammation and neurodegeneration.
Pendulum has created proprietary pipelines to build a unique discovery platform that identifies key, novel bacterial strains and the prebiotics that feed them.
We are a highly collaborative team of scientists, engineers, physicians, marketers and salespeople interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition. We believe strongly in an individual’s transparency and strong communication to enable the most effective and efficient path to team success.
If you’re interested in building a new category of products that will help improve the lives of people globally and you love working in a cross-functional, collaborative, inspiring environment, please continue reading!
Pendulum is seeking an industry experienced Scientist to join the Research and Development team. This person will contribute to the Pendulum mission through design and execution of experiments evaluating immunological, neurological, and biochemical impacts of commensal bacteria on the host. The ideal candidate will have experience in immunology, tissue culturing, anaerobic microbiology, and animal models of metabolic and immune diseases. This position will interact closely with Clinical and Computational teams.
- Design, perform and optimize in vitro cellular assays for the advancement of lead microbiological therapeutics and the evaluation of immunological and biochemical hypotheses
- Evaluate assay data to enable optimization of formulations and selection of strain and ingredient combinations with increased efficacy and scalability.
- Perform, prepare for, and manage DNA sequencing workflows (Sanger, 16S, whole genome sequencing)
- Manage and perform routine maintenance of Illumina MiSeq, monitor run performance
- Document experiments in electronic laboratory notebooks
- Participate and often direct multiple simultaneous projects, ensuring clear communication of results across teams
- Present to executive staff and advisory boards
- Provide hands-on lab support to the team to reach department goals
- Ph.D. in microbiology, immunology, biochemistry or a related field
- 4+ years of industry experience developing, running, and troubleshooting screening assays
- Expertise in a wide variety of immunological techniques, cell culture, flow cytometry, and biochemistry techniques (e.g., ELISA, western blotting, RT-qPCR)
- Familiarity with animal models of metabolic syndrome and immunological disease
- Familiarity with anaerobic microbiological growth phenotyping assays a plus
- Entrepreneurial spirit, positive attitude, and a desire to learn and tackle new challenges
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Belief in transparency, collaboration, open communication, and in the ability of one’s own power to improve and enable those around them
Salary & Benefits
- 80,000 - 127,000 (DOE)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Commuter Benefits
- Life & STD Insurance
- Company match on 401(k)
- Flexible Time Off (FTO)
Pendulum Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics,
disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome all to apply.