Director of Research
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Pendulum® is on a mission to help people improve physical and mental health by creating a new category of products that target the microbiome. We are researching, developing and commercializing a novel class of rationally-designed Live Synbiotics™ (probiotics + prebiotics) that have demonstrated clinical efficacy to treat conditions like metabolic syndrome, inflammation and neurodegeneration.
Pendulum has created proprietary pipelines to build a unique discovery platform that identifies key, novel bacterial strains and the prebiotics that feed them.
We are a highly collaborative team of scientists, engineers, physicians, marketers and salespeople interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition. We believe strongly in an individual’s transparency and strong communication to enable the most effective and efficient path to team success.
If you’re interested in building a new category of products that will help improve the lives of people globally and you love working in a fast-paced cross-functional, collaborative, inspiring environment, please continue reading!
We are seeking a Director of Research to lead R&D at Pendulum, reporting directly to the CSO. This person will manage a team of scientists and researchers to advance our knowledge of current and new pipeline products. This includes projects spanning assay development, isolation and characterization of new strains, preclinical studies, GRAS process for strains, and scientific and technical publications and presentations. This person will collaborate closely with multiple teams across the company, including Bioinformatics, Manufacturing, Clinical, Finance, Regulatory and Marketing. We’re looking for a seasoned director of research with excellent organization and leadership qualities, a proven successful track record and strong background in the microbiome space. This position will create and manage the research budgets. The successful candidate will be someone who thrives in a fast-paced, lean and collaborative environment. Iterations and group input will be familiar territory for this person. While we want someone who can think big, we also need someone who can be resourceful in how they approach executing. They should be both passionate and comfortable working in an early stage company that is growing rapidly.
- Work closely with the executive team to budget, prioritize, report on, and drive key cross-functional initiatives.
- Manage and lead a team of scientists and researchers to ensure objectives are clearly defined and met on time.
- Work collaboratively with the data science team to design and manage research programs to deliver auditable and foundational results that drive a clear path forward for the company. Serve as a resource across multiple departments for cross functional projects including marketing, customer based studies, investigator studies, and regulatory dossiers.
- Maintain, enhance, and develop relationships/networks with KOLs, HCPs, government agencies, and other stakeholders to stay abreast of challenges and opportunities in the microbiome space
- Subject matter expert (SME) on product and technical capabilities for designing and managing PI- lead studies.
- Represent the company as Scientific Director to regulatory authorities and lead on market development focused regulatory submissions.
- Publish and present scientific and technical findings.
- 8 + years of progressively more responsible experience in leading scientists, integrating cross-functional teams, including highly technical R&D
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Immunology, Environmental Engineering, Biochemistry or other relevant basic science.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience partnering with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Belief in transparency and open communication and the ability for an individual’s power to improve and enable those around them.
- Conviction that sharing data as soon as it is collected, results in optimal scrutiny, quality of interpretation, and engagement of all stakeholders.
- Create a culture of shared responsibility, where not everyone needs to be an expert, but an expert needs to be identified and consulted.
- Data driven, with a high level of comfort presenting analysis and information to senior management and staff.
- Extraordinary organizational skills, with high attention to detail, and exceptional focus on accuracy and accountability.
- Some travel for collaborations and presentations may be required.
Travel, Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Salary & Benefits
- 170,000 - 210,000
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Commuter Benefits
- Life & STD Insurance
- Company match on 401(k)
- Flexible Time Off (FTO)
Pendulum Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics,
disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome all to apply.